Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulNZ
  • 1 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By Rossiwiz

Thread: Possible bedding compound??

Possible bedding compound??

A couple if my mates have been restoreing glass boats lately
    There both using this epoxy resin from a company called (west system)
    Its a liquid 2 pot Obviously but they mix stuff into it finely ground fibreglass??
    Which turns it into a putty for filling holes etc the consistency if the putty can be changed by adding less or more of the white powdery shit...
    Drys rock soild

wondering if it might be good for bedding jobs as they buy 4 ltrs at a time and I can steal a bit
    Will need bugger all of it Obviously

What do you reckon

It's perfect for bedding (I've used West 105/205 to make a stock with). The 205 hardener is preferable as it cures faster than the other ones. The more filler/thickener you add the weaker the cured epoxy, but it's not something to worry about.

This answers the question:

What Are the Best Bedding Materials? Speedy Speaks « Daily Bulletin

Marinetex is easy to use, hard as the hobs of hell and most importantly, doesn't shrink over time.

I've used it; 105 resin/205 hardener and 404 high density filler. Mixed nice and thick with a bit of black pigment added for cosmetics. Worked well. Quite a few people do use it internationally, including some widely respected gunsmiths.
    I also find that 105 resin with 207 hardener makes a good stock finish for some applications, rubbed into and wiped off the wood like using Tru-oil.
    takbok likes this.

just make sure you use a decent release agent or you will be in deep trouble

I did a 223 with araldite I was in a hurry and curious to see if it was any good, half one of those 2 part syringes with some fibreglass rod sections to firm up a soft plastic stock. Worked perfectly. Release agent is important wax furniture polish works well but avoid silicone sprays, I was told they can creep and upset the bond between the stock and compound.

I have been using West System for years and it is very good. You can buy it in small (1 litre?) packs, and I also get a bag of Collodial filler to thicken the mix up so it doesn't run everywhere. They also sell brown and black pigment, and the very essential release agent. You can get paper cups with measurement graduations on the side, as well as wooden spatulas for mixing and application.
    csmiffy likes this.

Having been involved in many fibreglass boat builds, I would recommend the slow cure rather than the fast. The exothermic reaction of the fast cure can create too much heat which can end up cracking the epoxy. Mixed in too large a quantity it can catch fire. We have set a couple of plastic mixing cups on fire with the quick stuff. The white dust stuff is micro-balls, tiny glass balls. This can be substituted for carbon which would make the resin much stronger.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

for the life of me i cant remember the name of it but its an epoxy glue i bought from ideal electrical with a weird alphanumerical name like "y2k". its amazingly strong stuff, worked well as bedding but the best thin is that its the same colour as parkerised finish .
    i used a little stock wax as release agent and it worked a treat

I have a rifle bedded with Devcon it was done in 1984 it has never moved still as good as the day it was done, also use Accaglass with atomised stainless steel
    that never moves either

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I have a rifle bedded with Devcon it was done in 1984 it has never moved still as good as the day it was done, also use Accaglass with atomised stainless steel
    that never moves either
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  3.3 KBMurderer !!!

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post

Marinetex is easy to use, hard as the hobs of hell and most importantly, doesn't shrink over time.
    Who in N Z sells Marinetex? I have tried looking for it in various places and just got a blank stare in response. Then attempts to sell me something else.

While on the subject of sticky stuff, does anyone know if J B Weld is obtainable here? I've had no luck getting that either.

Quote Originally Posted by redrover View Post
    Who in N Z sells Marinetex? I have tried looking for it in various places and just got a blank stare in response. Then attempts to sell me something else.

While on the subject of sticky stuff, does anyone know if J B Weld is obtainable here? I've had no luck getting that either.
    Marine Deals have JB weld. That's what I used to do a 10/22, can't remember which one.

Quote Originally Posted by redrover View Post
    Who in N Z sells Marinetex?..
    Can't tell you sorry- got my US mate to send it over

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post

Without doubt Belzona 1111 is the best. Way, way harder than Marinetex or Devcon Plastic Steel and zero shrinkage. It's used to repair turbine blades among other things. Trouble is it's nearly $400 for a medium/small tub.

I used Marinetex on a Tikka T3x and it's easy to use and is good stuff for the money. I'm a little wary about their zero shrinkage claim and it's not as hard as Devcon Plastic Steel or Belzona 1111. Costs about $100 total sent from the U.S. via ebay for the 415g Gray pack. The gray is black, nothing gray about it.