Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MSL

Thread: Pre 64 Model 70 - a classic 7x57

Pre 64 Model 70 - a classic 7x57

So after doing a very nice deal with @Hendrik470 I have in hand a beaut rifle - a tastefully rebuilt Winchester pre 64 (probably originally a "varmint" model with a HB, it was in 243) in the wonderful NZ classic 7x57. It's destined to go and live with an old mate who has fallen on hard times, he's just about to get back his NZ FA licence after living in South Africa most of his life. I've been kidding the hell out of him about whether he could cope with a steel butt-plate, would he shoot a wimpy 275 Rigby, does he need it suppressed for his old age (of course not he snorted). The rebuild has been done by Alan Carr, with a featherweight barrel from Hugh Bradley

Anyhoo the ammo has just arrived and I'll get shooting it soon BUT I have just noted that it has the original "short" magazine box and follower. It does feed if cycled carefully, but I suspect it may give problems when "run hard" with cartridges riding forward due to no internal rib on the mag box.

So in the best traditions of seeking rocking horse poop - does anyone have a Winchester pre 64 M70 "standard" 2701/30-06 7x57 etc magazine box and follower they'd trade or part with - or know where such a beast might be sort?

I can trade the one I have for "short" cartridges - 243,308 etc, or maybe some 7x57 Cases/ammo - there are a 105 brand new Norma primed cases, and some ammo of various flavours.

Yes I will post up pictures in due course

post 64 yes...pre 64,not so much.

MSL
    Could cut it and extend if you can’t locate one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Carbine, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.