Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Project - 311 Jeffery "magnum" aka 311 RUM

Hello Guys

I have neat old BSA Model E with a poor barrel, I've fitted a modern US made ejector box and it has a fantastic Collings "target trigger". I've got Talley bases to fit it (the steel ones that take the nice Talley ringsets).

I've just scored a new prefit Criterion barrel (short chambered in 303 British). I could just have the barrel fitted and leave it as a 303 - but I already have a Lee Enfield that is as good as most 303's get.

Whilst casting round on the interweb I came across the Wiki entry for the 300 RUM - and right there was some real inspiration - the 300 RUM is based on the 404 Jeffery case that some crazy Canucks got going playing with a series of wildcats based on the 404 case (one of which was the 311).

Now the P14 action is big, long and strong, and the Model E is a nice sporterized version of it - SO what do you think of a "311 Jeffery" for a powerful long range rig - just run a 300 RUM reamer into my new barrel. From my experience with the 7.62x39 308 projectiles may well shoot pretty good in it so there is a possibility I wouldn't be limited to 311 projectiles.

Thoughts Gentlemen ?

Not sure about a 311 but years ago I was running a trued Remington Sendero in .300 WM out to 1600 mtrs with a mate shooting a Sendero in .300 WM until he went and put on a .300 RUM where I've seen him pull off shots out to 2200 mtrs.

Live the dream!

Sounds interesting, but if it turns out to be limited to .311 projectiles, it’s long range potential would be limited? Would still make a fine bush stalking rifle.
    More meplat, more better.

There were quite a few that were converted to Norma mag back in the day. There has been one for sale on trademe for awhile. They just ran the reamer up the old 303 barrel.

the rimmed russian round perhaps???? leave barrel as long as possible to keep velocity high. there are a few threads on terminal ballistics site about .303 wild cats,might be worth a look/read.

Could you turn down a monolithic 8mm or 33 cal bullet to fit? I'm sure I've read an article about something similar.

where did you source the Criterion barrel from?

Been thinking about one with a savage barrel nut for an easy rebarrel option

You can get them from John @ https://www.nzrac.co.nz/