Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ishoot10s
  • 2 Post By Kimber 7mm-08

Thread: Proof marks on a P14

Proof marks on a P14

So I have a Remington (RE *) 1917 built P14.
    Its got that many marks on the receiver they ended up putting the Proof stamps on the muzzle end!

I know what a few of the marks mean but if someone can identify them all that would be awesome. I have probably mentioned it before but it has another serial type number on the right hand ear ( this was normally only done to rifles that would be scoped, and ONLY ever done to Winchesters of course)

Of most interest to me is what the CVA means on the right of the first pic and what the stamp in the left top of the picture with the C in it means, of course the ear stamp is a curious factor as well and doesnt look to be done at the build time but later at an armory?

Name:  IMG_4969.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  2.05 MB

Name:  IMG_4970.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  2.15 MB

Name:  IMG_4971.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  2.07 MB

Name:  IMG_4978.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  1.76 MB

Name:  IMG_4980.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  1.90 MB

Name:  IMG_4985.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  1.71 MB

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    The military proof mark is sideways in the lower left of the first pic. It’s a crown above GR then crossed flags and a P. It has A BNP proof at 90 degrees obliterating the P. The BNP and other muzzle end markings were added when it was sold out of service. They were not standard military proof requirements. The marks just left of the RE might be a very faint inspectors mark. That would normally be a crown with a number under and a letter under that.

The Arrow with a dot under is the British acceptance mark.

Actually, I think your CVA is the inspectors stamp. It’s half a crown, with something else under, and the A under that, parts lost in the curvature of the receiver.

Name:  F42A4A74-EECE-48F1-B5CF-FBC2B34EFFEC.jpeg
Views: 233
Size:  10.9 KB
    Last edited by ishoot10s; 23-11-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    johnd likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Remington made P14's are generally poorly struck when it comes to proof marks etc. I think you'll find that CVA is actually part of a crown at the top (poorly struck so looks like a C), then other parts of the inspectors marks. Will check my remington P14's to confirm.
    ishoot10s and johnd like this.

So from what @mimms2 provided this could have been SoS from 1954 onwards ( the crown and BNP at the muzzle)