Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Protection for threaded barrel.

Protection for threaded barrel.

Recently got barrel threaded and a new MAE supressor fitted. My question Is how important is a thread protector cap when not using the supressor such as in more dense bush hunting or shooting at Woodhill forest. Is a thread protector cosmetic or is the thread really at risk of damage? Can you buy thread protectors off the shelf or do they need to be custom made, I'd need one for a stainless barrel? My other question would be is it safe to use tape over the end of the barrel, I notice a lot of hunters still do it. In 20 years hunting I have never had a blocked barrel despite some good falls.

yeah dirt might not harm the thread apart from clog it up, but a bang from a rock or hard surface will ruin the thread. no thread protectors are not cosmetic, they are just that, thread protectors. you can probably get one off the shelf from trademe I have seen them there but its really the most ideal to get it made to suit the thread on your barrel if youre into doing things right. a good gunsmith will screwcut the barrel thread parallel to the bore to give a precision fit to the suppressor and then screwcut a threadcap to suit that thread and then machine the outside to be flush with the outside of the barrel, don't really need knurling on the cap. looks cheap if you ask me!

yes you will need a stainless one for stainless barrels as steel ones will cause rust/corrosion after a short while.

yes its safe to tape the barrel. ususally if the bush is that tight I will screw on my thread protector cap then tape the barrel end over top, would hate to loose the cap. oil the thread too occasionally especially with stainless
    #BallisticFists

Did it not come with one when it was threaded?

I always have my protector on my 6.5 but the 300wsm never came with one so I have wrapped it in a fair bit of tape. It's better to protect it rather than take the chance you fall over and damage it.

I sometimes tape over my barrel, really depends if I have some tape on me when I grab the gun. Probably not a biggie but as I said it takes nothing and protects the barrel filling with crap if something was to happen. Easier to prevent those "maybe" issues and make them ino a non issue
    VIVA LA HOWA

As a stop gap measure I use a bit of fuel hose and cut it right length and just push that over the thread.
    Dougie, Pengy, Maca49 and 1 others like this.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    As above - but I use high quality choke tube grease instead of oil. An old gunsmith told me better then oil. Could be an old wives tale but grease is possibly more likely to 'grip' ie not come undone. Also it you make do with something - make sure you don't affect the aerodynamics of the crown. You would be amazied at how much air get sucked up the outside of the barrel in behind the projectile upon firing.

if you don't have a tread protector then just tape the thread until flush with the barrel that should provide enough protection if you fall and ding it................................................ ............. I put a bit of anti seize on my thread
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Sika stalker View Post
    Recently got barrel threaded and a new MAE supressor fitted. My question Is how important is a thread protector cap when not using the supressor such as in more dense bush hunting or shooting at Woodhill forest. Is a thread protector cosmetic or is the thread really at risk of damage? Can you buy thread protectors off the shelf or do they need to be custom made, I'd need one for a stainless barrel? My other question would be is it safe to use tape over the end of the barrel, I notice a lot of hunters still do it. In 20 years hunting I have never had a blocked barrel despite some good falls.
    I make and sell stainless thread caps, along with my other cnc machined products. I have most of the common thread sizes and nominal diameters in stock. Not knurled, so they can be custom turned on the outer diameter if required, however normal practice is just to fit a thread cap where the diameter of cap is very slightly larger than barrel diameter at the junction. $20 each plus courier bag. I have them listed on trademe, but you can also contact me direct with details of what you want. ( save me some paperwork and TM fees! )
    gadgetman and Sika stalker like this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

A few laps of some electrical tape will do just fine. Save your moneys.

Just got a stainless thread protector end cap from dfmaisey. Nice tidy plain stainless end cap - looks a berlody treat, personally I like it better than the ones with knurled ends. If you need a nice end cap to protect your barrel thread then PM him. Very helpful and highly recommended.

Lost the cap the week after I got it, been using a length of yellow air hose since press fit, lost a few bits but theres plenty more in the workshop!

I have thread caps on all my treaded rifles but the last one I got in 708 has what looks like a stock gnarled cap, problem is it's fatter than the pencil barrel it's on, it's a blued barrel I wonder what it would cost to have a flush smooth one wiped up.

My plain stainless one from dfmaisey cost $26 delivered by courier. He will help you with sizing. I got a micrometer and measured the barrel diameter just behind the thread and the overall length of thread on the end of the barrel. They stock a range of sizes and thread types etc. PM him if your keen and he will tell you what measurements you need. When I got my supressor fitted they said they did not do end caps. Otherwise have a look on trade me for end caps as there are some available there.

I asked Dan Hardy for a thread protector he wanted $650 for it. So I rang Arthur Cleland gave him the dimensions(alloy and knurled) and $30 later it was in the post.Also had one arrive from dfmaisey that a mate paid for nice stainless smooth finish.

MSL
    $650? What are you talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=MSL;360394]$650? What are you talking about

You ring him and see what he says,he would sell me one for $650 and throw in the suppressor. He wouldn't sell me a thread protector unless I bought one of his suppressors.