Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiawatha
  • 2 Post By Walker
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By A330driver
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 4 Post By Bill999
  • 2 Post By 264 magic
  • 2 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 4 Post By DUCKHUNTER

Thread: Purchasing a rifle barrel in the USA?

Purchasing a rifle barrel in the USA?

I'm heading over to the USA down to Tuscon Arizona and while in the states I'll be visiting a Cabelas / Basspro while I'm there some where on my travels and yes I know what I'm in for as I've been to a Basspro once before so I'll be like a kid in a lolly shop and I'm going to have a list of goodies to shop for as knowing me... once I get inside the store my mind will go blank and I'll get distracted being like a mag pie looking for anything shiny!

Anyway... I'm looking at buying a "rifle barrel" while I'm over there... prefer a Tikka 7mm-08 barrel reamed out to .284 Win as I'm wanting to upgrade my 16 inch .284 barrel on it already.

Has anyone bought rifle barrels when over in the states and who from?

Is there any paper work / export documents required to take barrel out of the country?

I'll apply for an import permit through the police prior to going over so I'll have that side covered.

Bus driver
    Check your pms mate.......working on it

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I'm heading over to the USA down to Tuscon Arizona and while in the states I'll be visiting a Cabelas / Basspro while I'm there some where on my travels and yes I know what I'm in for as I've been to a Basspro once before so I'll be like a kid in a lolly shop and I'm going to have a list of goodies to shop for as knowing me... once I get inside the store my mind will go blank and I'll get distracted being like a mag pie looking for anything shiny!

Anyway... I'm looking at buying a "rifle barrel" while I'm over there... prefer a Tikka 7mm-08 barrel reamed out to .284 Win as I'm wanting to upgrade my 16 inch .284 barrel on it already.

Has anyone bought rifle barrels when over in the states and who from?

Is there any paper work / export documents required to take barrel out of the country?

I'll apply for an import permit through the police prior to going over so I'll have that side covered.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Import permit needed from our Police. I got told by arms officer you should even get one for a scope. There is nowhere in the Act where I can find a scope being listed as a firearms part but they suggested I should play safe anyway. Go to the NZ Police site and follow your nose. Shopping list worth doing. There is so much STUFF in those shops. Unbelievable! Trail cams are really cheap. Found binos and range finders about the same. Enjoy!
    A330driver likes this.

You will require a export permit ($200us) to bring a barrel out of the states.
    mikee and A330driver like this.

Bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    Import permit needed from our Police. I got told by arms officer you should even get one for a scope. There is nowhere in the Act where I can find a scope being listed as a firearms part but they suggested I should play safe anyway. Go to the NZ Police site and follow your nose. Shopping list worth doing. There is so much STUFF in those shops. Unbelievable! Trail cams are really cheap. Found binos and range finders about the same. Enjoy!
    It does not have to be in the Act anymore, they (NZ Police) just make shit up on the hoof and its up to you to prove otherwise. Such are the special conditions attached to being a Licences Fit and Proper person
    DUCKHUNTER likes this.

Bus driver
    Wrong or right @mikee.....the shit-pie that’s being handed down makes it difficult for many who are spending good money to stay within the confines of these bullshit laws

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    It does not have to be in the Act anymore, they (NZ Police) just make shit up on the hoof and its up to you to prove otherwise. Such are the special conditions attached to being a Licences Fit and Proper person
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Wrong or right @mikee.....the shit-pie that’s being handed down makes it difficult for many who are spending good money to stay within the confines of these bullshit laws
    Yes but its very difficult to say what the laws are. i have to shortly go line up infront of the Po Po like a naughtly little schoolboy and have them tell me what they will pay me for my lawfully purchased private property. And be thanked for "making NZ Safer"

My views now of the Police have changed somewhat my initial view (and one of nearly 40 years) was that you should assist them with what ever they require including physical assistance should a situation require it and I will / would be teaching my kids that they are just like the Mob or the Hells Angels..........................not to be trusted at all and in any situation.

@Seventenths you will need a US export permit for sure otherwise you may be inviting trouble.
    The process is not hard but it does cost a bit...........I have done it numerous times purchasing firearms I am about to suffer "confiscation with compensation"sadly
    A330driver and xtightg like this.

Is it smuggling if you screw an axe head on the end of it and import it as a $30 axe?

just buy one from gisborne,,ive got two n both shooters
    Seventenths and Cyclops like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 264 magic View Post
    just buy one from gisborne,,ive got two n both shooters
    Yep... I've emailed numerous stores where I'll be in the states to no avail and so far the cost of a barrel compared to getting one here in far more expensive.

I just thought i'd be a tight bastard and see if i can get one over there cheaper... I'm thinking i might just get it all here in NZ!

Cheers to all for the replies
    grunzter and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Yep... I've emailed numerous stores where I'll be in the states to no avail and so far the cost of a barrel compared to getting one here in far more expensive.

I just thought i'd be a tight bastard and see if i can get one over there cheaper... I'm thinking i might just get it all here in NZ!

Cheers to all for the replies
    Unless it is an unusual or "special" barrel better and less red tape to buy here. Check with NZRAC they advertise criterian prefit 284 barrels for tikka
    https://www.nzrac.co.nz/shop/product...and-Remington/
    A330driver likes this.

You will need an export permit as they are itar restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I phoned the local arms officer about importing "A cat" gun parts, he genuinely had no idea what the laws were and suggested getting one for every thing just to make life easy.

What a cock up.
    xtightg likes this.

I am importing a Scoped 2nd hand Rifle from the US - Be aware a US State Department Export Permit can take 6 months !! An export Permit and Import Permit are required - and GST changes on 1 December on overseas purchases including those posted !! (Remember Jacinda said no new taxes) - My advice you can get a top quality barrel here for less money ENJOY THE SHOPPING EXPERIENCES and as soon as Christmas ends the sales start !!!
    Seventenths, mikee, WallyR and 1 others like this.