Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Purpose made bolt action shotgun for slugs and deer hunting

Purpose made bolt action shotgun for slugs and deer hunting

Saw this article in Field and Stream on the best 20-guage Slug Guns for deer hunting.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/...r-deer-hunting

Has anyone here had experience with such beasts and have anything they could share with us......range, accuracy, stopping power????

Cheers
    Phil

Are shotguns with removable magazines even legal anymore? I thought they went out with the devil's guns....

MB
    A lot of US states only allow deer hunting with shotgun, so I'd look for info from over there. A semi-auto shotgun setup for slugs could be useful here in NZ for serious goat/deer control on private land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Are shotguns with removable magazines even legal anymore? I thought they went out with the devil's guns....
    Maybe the removeable magazines but there seems to be a selection of single shot and pumpaction with a shell tube.

Cheers Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    A lot of US states only allow deer hunting with shotgun, so I'd look for info from over there. A semi-auto shotgun setup for slugs could be useful here in NZ for serious goat/deer control on private land.
    Yes, out of pure interest I shall look further. I see the Ithaca Deer Slayer III boasts a 4 inch group at 200 meters. With a slug that could be rather deverstating.

Cheers
    Phil

b/a shotguns with detachable mags are still ok. pump and s/a are naughty according to big sister
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    b/a shotguns with detachable mags are still ok. pump and s/a are naughty according to big sister
    Phew, that's a relief, I thought after post#2 I was going to have to go bury the goose gun.
    Phil_H likes this.

I have explored this idea before as I thought a slug firing shotgun would be excellent at short range but when I asked DOC they said no way.
    I couldn't convince them I wasn't going to be using it to shoot birds.
    I guess for private land it might be a go but for public land I dont like your chances.

12 gauge home loads, good on goats at 100 metres through a Winnie pump on 16 inch barrel...20 gauge would be less damage to hunters shoulder as those 12's do boot.

Name:  IMG_3244.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  293.9 KB
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    12 gauge home loads, good on goats at 100 metres through a Winnie pump on 16 inch barrel...20 gauge would be less damage to hunters shoulder as those 12's do boot.

Attachment 164343
    Yep, 12 gauge shotgun with slugs kills at both ends; fair rattles the fillings..
    Woody and Phil_H like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Many years ago, Graham Henry did some research and wrote a Rod and Rifle article on shotgun accuracy using both fully rifled shotgun barrels and rifled shotgun chokes. He was able to consistently get less than 3 moa at 100 using the right slugs in the fully rifled barrel, and about double that with the rifled chokes. He also went on the say that because of the ballistics that he would be confident taking a 150 metre shot, but not beyond. If you could get hold of a pump or semi with a fully rifled barrel, and the correct slugs to use in it, then I dont think DoC would have a leg to stand on. Easier to not even mention you are using a "shotgun", after all it is fully rifled.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Yep, 12 gauge shotgun with slugs kills at both ends; fair rattles the fillings..
    A shotgun firing a 1oz slug at 1300fps has less recoil than a 1 1/4 oz load of pellets at 1300fps - simple physic's.

Back in the day a number of sports shops in Hamilton had a letter from DoC saying that if you only had slugs then it was legal to hunt with a shotgun on DoC land.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Phew, that's a relief, I thought after post#2 I was going to have to go bury the goose gun.
    @DavidGunn - I am so sorry mate! I did not mean to give anyone a heart attack. I found the list of prohibited firearms and bolt action shoguns don't even feature. https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...ill?nondesktop

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    A shotgun firing a 1oz slug at 1300fps has less recoil than a 1 1/4 oz load of pellets at 1300fps - simple physic's.
    Correct.Ive never noticed any difference. You probably “feel” more because that’s what the mind is telling you

And when using pellets you’re swinging through the animal, do the movement absorbs it, rather than lining up in something.
    A centrefire recoil feels stronger prone than standing up.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...