Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Purpose made bolt action shotgun for slugs and deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    A shotgun firing a 1oz slug at 1300fps has less recoil than a 1 1/4 oz load of pellets at 1300fps - simple physic's.
    I realize the physics say otherwise but maybe because you take deliberate aim when using slugs that the kick is more noticeable?

I also considered the powder used maybe burnt faster and gave the slug a quicker ‘kick in the pants’

PS I always imagined slug loads had a higher velocity?
    norsk likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    I have explored this idea before as I thought a slug firing shotgun would be excellent at short range but when I asked DOC they said no way.
    I couldn't convince them I wasn't going to be using it to shoot birds.
    I guess for private land it might be a go but for public land I dont like your chances.
    I have a letter here somewhere from DOC (probably on an old PC) that stated that if it had a rifled barrel and I was carrying slugs, they considered it a 12 guage rifle and was allowed. But that was back when they were almost reasonable to deal with before sage took over....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

A friend of mine had a fully rifled H and R that was taken everywhere in the NI for bush hunting. It was listed as ".72 cal" on his DOC permits. Deer tended to crumple on the spot which was the idea, great and consistent knock down power.

I am looking for a rifled choke as a halfway measure, hard to find anything much here though due to the DOC rules.

DOC used to issue game bird permits , had to produce F&G license to obtain.. Also used to issue small game permits for shotgun and rim fire, got turned down last time I asked. Was told it was the local managers decision if issued or not. Seems a typical DOC method of operation.

MB
    Not sure I see the point of a bolt action shotgun firing slugs in NZ. Maybe just because? Makes more sense with a semi-auto shotgun as a way of getting around the semi-auto centrefire ban for serious pest control. Hope Jacinda isn't reading this!

Have shot several wild bulls with rifled slugs. Absolutely poleaxed them. The shottie comes into its own being able to change from solids to 00 buckshot when the need changes.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    A shotgun firing a 1oz slug at 1300fps has less recoil than a 1 1/4 oz load of pellets at 1300fps - simple physic's.
    I guess this is whats refered to as "felt recoil". I used to like heavy field loads and with passing shot as most all rabbits and ducks are I could boom off 5 shots at fleeing game without noticing recoil, but line up a sitting rabbit , more like a rifle shot , and the same load would seem to kick like the proverbial mule
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .