Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 1 Post By Southerner223
  • 6 Post By mikee
  • 8 Post By dale
  • 2 Post By Philipo
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Philipo
  • 2 Post By caberslash
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Question about hearing protection with those hunting with muzzle brakes

Question about hearing protection with those hunting with muzzle brakes

Hey Team,

So I quite like the idea of getting a 7mm Rem Mag for a long range hunting rifle. Just for those running muzzle brakes (and the accompanying noise increase) how do you protect your hearing while hunting? I have some of those Howard Leight Earmuffs which are all good for an afternoon of banging steel but I can't see me wearing them in the bush all the time.

What do you guys use? Is there an affordable option?

I saw these Surefire buds below and thought they might be an option, anyone using them?

https://www.earjobs.co.nz/products/s...AaAr8AEALw_wcB

I used to run a muzzle brake on my rem mag.

Just used ear plugs as was a long range set up and never shot it without.

Sorry your question is abit odd having long range rifle, but then bush hunting with it?

My view on it was I'd never shoot it without. One missed deer is less than the many I'd miss following if I had no hearing

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

I brought brakes for all my rifles.
    All without exception are sitting in a nice little pile in the safe unused now. 7rm does not boot that much!!

Same here, I use to run brakes on all my magnums. Was a pain putting in earplugs for a faster shot. Was ok for long range. Now I don’t own any rifle with a brake. I just put up with the extra weight of a supresser
    tetawa, mikee, Husky1600 and 5 others like this.

just as a back up put tons of disposable earplugs in a few pockets across your hunting gear

one day they will pay off when you forget your main pair

I have these ones which sit round your neck and can be quickly chucked in with one hand while setting up a shot, but if I have more time I use the disposable ones as they do a better job.

In a similar manner to Rob, I've been using these for a few years now: https://www.3mnz.co.nz/3M/en_NZ/p/d/v100518043/

They do a good job if you take the time to fit them correctly, but more importantly they can be left only just in your ears so you're not fumbling for them when animals appear.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Take it off while bush hunting, your POI won't change

I only run a couple of rifles with brakes nowadays & they have their use ( when tops hunting & have time to plug ya ears ) normally I run a set of decent plugs in my bino harness & can hang em around neck pop em in quickly when needed, but if doing "close quarters" type stuff I just un-screw it & run raw dawg

A great brake will definitely reduce recoil but can be a proper cunt when hunting in a group
    Micky Duck and 308mate like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post

I only run a couple of rifles with brakes nowadays & they have their use ( when tops hunting & have time to plug ya ears ) normally I run a set of decent plugs in my bino harness & can hang em around neck pop em in quickly when needed, but if doing "close quarters" type stuff I just un-screw it & run raw dawg

A great brake will definitely reduce recoil but can be a proper cunt when hunting in a group
    great bit of advice.......heck the 22-250 bare is painful for more than 2 rounds,the 7mm mag is oh so much worse....years of bare muzzles have left MOST of us with constant ringing (tinitus) and every time the ears get another blasting,it gets worse/lasts longer...I wont hunt with someone who has a loudener fitted to rifle after bad experience with browning boss years ago....even the dogs were trying to put paws in ears after first shot was fired.
    Woody, BSA270 and 308mate like this.

@Philipo

Yeah good advice cheers. I was actually just looking at the Varmiax brakes DF Maisey does, you can turn them off for shooting if something comes up unexpected and then turn it on for longer shots with the time for hearing protection on.

I dont really like radial brakes as they kick up dirt and dust below the brake but I suppose they have to be to make the Varimax design work.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....zlebrake-8773/

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Aww yeah bro, sorry as seems to be the case with me lately on here I miss stuff out of my posts ( busy n tired )

Was meant to say a good 'directional" break like a Terminator ( they are great ) & then screw it off.

Dunno about Deans, the concept looks great but be interested on how they work like you I'm not a great fan of dirty old "radials" but they have their place
    308mate likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Deans brake is very good. Just rotate an outer sleeve for brake on or off. Not heavy and the one I had worked well. I use an A-Tec QD brake and suppressor. Both work well but prefer the brake.

PARDON??!
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    PARDON??!
    I cant hear you either....
    what day is it???
    wednesday I think...
    wednesday???nah think its thursday....
    thirsty??why yes I am lets go have a beer
    Woody and caberslash like this.