Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Quick release rings...advice please

Question Quick release rings...advice please

Hey folks,
    Am thinking about a couple options for a new set up.
    I have been fortunate enough to have a beautiful 16" stainless marlin 336 fall into my lap.
    I was thinking about mounting a piccitinny rail on it.
    Then having 2 different scope setups in some burris quick release rings.
    A fixed 2.5x20 weaver for bush stalking
    3-9×40 for wallabies, goats or anything else out to 150-200 yards.
    Is it feasible with quick release rings to be able to swap the scopes out and expe t them to hold zero ?
    Or would a 1 peice mount be a better option for this ?
    Feel free to suggest better options
    Thanks everyone

I brought a set off faregame off here, works a treat I was a bit suspect at first but have had no issues
    dannyb likes this.

leave the 2.5 power on her full time......it will take you out to 200 yards with ease.....
    ebf, Husky1600, Cordite and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    leave the 2.5 power on her full time......it will take you out to 200 yards with ease.....
    This 2.5 is fine or buy something like the vx3i 1.5-5 etc. Frodo on here had a sexy one done in gloss to look classic. The return to zero isn't perfect everytime and there is not way to check. I used a few sets on my bergara but ended up never taking the scope of as there wasn't anyway to confirm it was zeroed in the field.

1 each way so far anyone else got any insight, I like the idea of a 2.5 in the scrub but my poor eyes might struggle at longer distances if I was to goat or wallaby hunting, hence the original question.
    Or should I just save my pennies and get a 2-7 or 1-5 or similar ?

I'd just get one scope to do both roles.
    A 2-7 or 2.5-8 would be a good lower cost option.
    Otherwise a 2-10 or 1-8 would be perfect.

If it's a nice looking rifle then it's hard to go wrong with a Leupold if looking pretty is a consideration.
    dannyb likes this.

Is it worth saving a few more pennies and getting one "alpha" glass low variable....?

Try a 1.5-6 Kahles, excellent scope

old eyes will see wallaby or a goat at 200 yards with 2.5 power...you have a rifle that was made to function with open sights in origonal form..a low mounted low power scope keeps the ergonomics (hows that for a whelbarrow word?) correct....poke a big scope on a thirty thirty..is just wrong......unless you doing the subsonic thing with all bells n whistles....
    you got a rifle that covers the long ish range thing well......IF you try to make the dirty thirty do the same job you will be forever tossing up which one to take..... and the dirty thirty will loose hands down....its like the colt peacemaker.....she is perfect for fast instinctive fast draw and shooting at spitting range...but couldnt compete with a TC CONTENDER with 13" barrel chambered in 7mmwalters........ they are made for different tasks.
    keep your 30/30 for the close range days,the bush stalking in thick shite or when you just feel the urge to take it out.
    I had a neat wee x39mm bolt action bush hobbits short rifle...but when I got a bolt action .308 it became redundant....two rifles too similar in form n function.
    try your 2.5 and just see how it goes.....or as has been suggessted get a 1.5-5 or the likes...still gives you short light scope that can be mounted low....
    Maca49 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post

If it's a nice looking rifle then it's hard to go wrong with a Leupold if looking pretty is a consideration.
    It doesn't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Is it worth saving a few more pennies and getting one "alpha" glass low variable....?
    Yes I'd say so. Changing optics is way more of a pain in the arse than most realise. Unless your by a blaser etc.
    dannyb likes this.

Thanks everyone for the input, I think @mickey Duck hit the nail on the head this needs to be a Bush gun not something to try stretch the legs on or I will just spend all my time contemplating if I should just take the WSM.
    I'll try it with the weaver fixed 2.5 first and see what I think.
    If I really need more I'll look at one of the low power 1-5 or similar options.
    Micky Duck likes this.

For most lever guns 200m is going to be a practical max range anyway. A 2.5 will get you minute of deer/goat/wallaby out that far no probs. A 1-4 would be perfect
    dannyb likes this.

FWIW My Marlin M1894 wears a 2-7 Leupold in qd rings. The return to zero "near enough" as being .357mag, long range rifle it is not but its my most fun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input, I think @mickey Duck hit the nail on the head this needs to be a Bush gun not something to try stretch the legs on or I will just spend all my time contemplating if I should just take the WSM.
    I'll try it with the weaver fixed 2.5 first and see what I think.
    If I really need more I'll look at one of the low power 1-5 or similar options.
    If money allows a VX6 1-6 would be a awesome scope for a lever gun.
    I love my PST Gen2 1-6 but the Leupold looks much classier.
    dannyb likes this.