Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Hunter_killer
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels

Thread: Quick Tac Turret fix if your hitting the bush.....?

Quick Tac Turret fix if your hitting the bush.....?

Lol, first of all; get your head out of the gutter ref the title.

For the last couple of days, the turrets on my scope have been weighing on my mind. Some people are like...you will knock your zero *blah blah* don't get me wrong, a very valid point. From reading on forums, most ppl are worried about the turret doing a full 360 degree twist without them knowing. Not the fact that they click over a couple of times from zero. Because let's be honest;
    1. Rapid engagement at 25-50m won't effect your initial bullet trajectory that much.
    2. It's the POSSIBLE 360 degrees of rotation that would have you second guessing yourself when you line that trophy up after you have just been the ultimate ninja through that patch of Manuka and bumped your gear around.

So this is just a quick fix that I conjured up while driving home today. Please keep in mind;

1. I realise you can get target turrets put on the Sightron, but bugger that at $135USD excluding postage.
    2. This won't stop ALL rotation, but it will stop it rotating more than about 180 degrees (or more, depending on the rubber). A quick check will still be required prior to engagements.
    3. I know some scopes have turret locks (inc the 2016 Sightrons ($$$)) but I have this scope, love the glass and I'm not about to cough up for another one just yet...

TBH, this seems to work just fine;

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  193.1 KB

This is the 7mm08 T3 set up for bush. A lot lighter than I thought it would be. Those Harris bi-pods are killer heavy, might need to look at the smaller/lighter Bushbuck for this purpose...

Additionally, you can purchase the adapter so that stock is foldable to either side as well. This rifle can pack down seriously small if required for those longer "walk ins" etc.

Views: 390
Size:  210.7 KB

Set up for mid range, open country (now has rubber on turrets):

Views: 413
Size:  203.3 KB

Can easily say, that this is the perfect all rounder that I have been looking for.

Hope this helps someone out.
    Last edited by Hunter_killer; 13-09-2016 at 03:28 PM.
    gadgetman, WallyR and planenutz like this.

Whats it like to carry in one hand? Looks like that angled part of the stock in front of the mag would be right where you would want your hand to be when carrying it on the hill.

@MikeB. Yeah mate, she holds well. It's also mint to use for your leading hand when standing/kneeling or even the prone if you don't shoot from the rear stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_killer View Post
    @MikeB. Yeah mate, she holds well. It's also mint to use for your leading hand when standing/kneeling or even the prone if you don't shoot from the rear stock.
    Personal preference though I guess. There is a little more weight. I tilt the rifle down, which puts the weight in the hand when you hold the angled part in front of the the mag housing. Sounds kinda stupid but it slings a lot better over a single shoulder than the old T3 stock.
    Last edited by Hunter_killer; 14-09-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

I like the shooting bench setup in the last photo. What length is the shooting range? Do the neighbors get grumpy with the noise during range sessions?
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Fulla
    Insulation tape works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Insulation tape works fine.
    Yeah I know it does, have tried it out. This just means I have a bit more flexibility, as I mix it up between range shooting and hunting close/medium range quite often. Essentially it means I don't have to carry a roll of tape around lol.
    Last edited by Hunter_killer; 20-09-2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Can't spell