Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Quietest .22 Suppressor ?

Quietest .22 Suppressor ?

Got a new / used .22 that has come with a very small skinny suppressor.
    I am after the quietest suppressor I can get, the area I am hunting is tight close cover and really want as little noise as possible. ( using subs )
    You guys have any brand / model you can recommend ?

Cheers for the input guys

res
    Gunworks have made Maximus sized .22 cans in the past, I have one and while it's not my favorite can due to its size and length(I got them to do it with a few extra baffles) it is remarkably quiet. With the neoprene cover on it you are listening to the firing pin on a bolt gun. It's heavy so really changes the harmonics of most hunting barrels.

Practically I like the Gunworks .22 mag can and the asu can
    Using Tapatalk

I currently have a DPT 3 baffle can on my .22, and it is very good. The best I have used however was one of those push-on plastic cans, but it would not fit on the new rifle so it had to go. The worst was the one that came on the Gun City 10/22 carbon barrel.

This type of push-on suppressor was the best I used is regards to sound suppression - over 20,000 rounds with no issues.
    Name:  2016-08-23_13-48-54.jpg
Views: 6329
Size:  307.1 KB
    WallyR likes this.

res
    those push on jobs work really well, and given the size of the holes in the baffles its a really strong argument for volume being a key factor
    Using Tapatalk

I put a 22wmr suppressor on my 22lr rifle and it is pretty effective. Click, thud, ching.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Had an ase utra one, very low profile, really quite on the 22 and 17hmr but is heavy.

The quietest suppressors are the ones with the greatest volume, incorporating an efficient gas-trapping system (eg. close fitting baffles with a recurve face). Volume is the key factor, baffle design is secondary. Claims for quiet designs without volume are bullshit. A suppressor works by slowing and cooling the muzzle gases with sufficient volume to allow the gases to expand and cool. Small, quiet suppressors are a product of Hollywood!
    TeRei, Micky Duck, WallyR and 1 others like this.

Ejected
    Interesting, so all the decibel ratings are bull shit too?

Rev Rog...
    Jokes.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The quietest suppressors are the ones with the greatest volume, incorporating an efficient gas-trapping system (eg. close fitting baffles with a recurve face). Volume is the key factor, baffle design is secondary. Claims for quiet designs without volume are bullshit. A suppressor works by slowing and cooling the muzzle gases with sufficient volume to allow the gases to expand and cool. Small, quiet suppressors are a product of Hollywood!
    As a layman I completely agree, some are much more quiet for there volume than others to be fair but volume still seems to be king
    Using Tapatalk

Love my modular DPT one on the Marlin semi-auto .22 Works a treat every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Interesting, so all the decibel ratings are bull shit too?
    Pretty much! The only accurate readings are done with a properly calibrated decibel meter and then comparative readings of the available range of suppressors done with one firearm, one batch of ammo, all on the same day with the microphones in identical positions for each shot. Even then you will only have reasonably reliable comparative figures, rather than absolutely accurate decibel readings. Good .22 rimfire suppressors will achieve 30+ decibel reduction. Most .22 Magnum suppressors are a good size for achieving excellent results with .22 LR subsonic ammo. Sadly, there is a lot of bullshit in the advertising hype of some NZ manufaturers. My experience is based on over 40 years of commercial suppressor design and manufacture, covering rimfire and centrefire rifles, pistols and SMG's.
    Micky Duck and WallyR like this.

hushpro $100 on a bolt action 22 with a good subsonic ammo all you hear is the click of the firing pin and the thud of the bullet hitting the target
    WallyR likes this.

i use a gunworks 22mag one but i would say its a bit louder then just hearing the firing pin.

Gun works 22mag can user aswell, works really well