Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Quietest supressors

Quietest supressors

So I'm wanting a supressor for my 6.5 grendel. It shoots and kills out to 400m easy enough and id like to make it as quiet as possible. What's everyone's experiences with different supressors? I've used maniatis, hardys, dpt and greystone. But all on different rifles so can't compare.

There was a really good review done a couple of years back in NZ Hunter mag, probably a bit out of date now but covered 20 or more brands/models that were on the market. In general, and from memory, the heavier ones were best in reducing noise.
    Larskramer likes this.

Shulz and Larsen works quite well, doesnt have the ping associated with some. Has baffles etc that can be added or lessed
    Is a bit like a DPT in design (modular)
    Larskramer likes this.

Caretaker
    Hands down MAE stainless from Gary Mcoll at MAE engineering

Then Gabe Ziglianis suppressors from High Country Sport in Fairlie
    BRADS and ripped undies like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Suppressor test was in rod and rifle from memory and should be online if you give it a Google. Quietest from memory was a ase Sl7. Generally the bigger the better, volume Infront of the muzzle is more effective than that behind also. Interestingly steel is meant to be quieter than alloy, something to do with the temperature of the gas heating suppressor and how it affects sound?

Obviously big heavy suppressors aren't much use on small portable hunting rifles, I've been happy with both dpt and gunworks over barrels on a 7-08 and 300 mag, the dpt probably marginally better but it's hard to pick. DPT muzzle forward on the 223 I've been slightly disappointed in, although it's probably due to the shorter barrel. I'll probably get an sl5i for it one day as I've seen one in use and was very impressed.

@Larskramer Here you go, settle in with a drink & disappear down the Suppressor Rabbit Hole

NZ Rod & Rifle Suppressor Test

https://d347awuzx0kdse.cloudfront.ne...b01d144f6995df
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Some good info coming out. Highly appreciated. The weight, bulkyness doesn't bother me too much. It's not a bush carry gun, more of a shoot off the quad on the farm at fellow etc.

I have a A-Tec MegaHertz 2 on my new SAUM Barrel.
    Hands down quietest suppressor among the ones on my other rifles or mates rifles which are a mixture of DPT / Hardy / and the Guncity ones.
    Rifles are .223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5TCU, 30/06, 300WSM, couple of 6.5 Creedmores, couple 7-08s, 30 Nosler and a 300NM.
    They aren't cheap, nor slim and trim but they are quiet and the A-Lock mounting is great

Not a suppressor fan these days but had a stainless MAE on model 7 300saum a few years back, heavy brute of a thing but it really tamed the saum more so than any of the more popular/lightweight suppressors I have had on much milder calibre rifles
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have a hardy on my 7mmsaum, and a greystone 6k on the 6.5saum. I'm trying the greystone from the 6.5 saum on the 6.5 grendel tomorrow, so will see how that goes.

ebf
    +1 for MAE, insanely quiet
    Larskramer likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Walking my rifle
    MAE muzzle forward can, heavy though compared to the Alloy models
    The Aimsports are pretty good too (think i heard they got new models coming @ sika show, but not sure)

Many manufacturers have brought out new models since that supressor test, i dont think its all that valid anymore.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Not a suppressor fan these days but had a stainless MAE on model 7 300saum a few years back, heavy brute of a thing but it really tamed the saum more so than any of the more popular/lightweight suppressors I have had on much milder calibre rifles
    Yes but you have a hunting mate now who doesnt deserve to be deafened unexpextidly or even expectidly.
    I never used one until i got my "best mate" and now i wouldnt not use one.

As far as quietest best to look at db readings provided by teputible makers.
    GSP HUNTER and Micky Duck like this.

Not much gas in the Grendel I suspect your best results would be from a hardy or mae.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Tough question and no real good answer as too many variables and models.

That R & R test is good but dated now. Some have issues around equipment used but it was the best available at the time.
    Personally I use a Hardy, have a 6mm Stealth (Long one) which gets used on a 243 & 223, it is amazing, really good.
    and I have Hardy gen 5 and gen 6 compact's on some lever guns in 243 & 358 so hard to compare. The gen 5 243 one is better than what my mates use on their 7m08 & 223 but neither is DPT or Gunworks etc.
    Went Hardy Compact at the time due to the short front overhang.
    Z