Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 4 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By johnd

Thread: Rabbit board Shotgun

Cool Rabbit board Shotgun

Hey Folks.

So.

One of my Colleagues who has a former Rabbit Board Baikal 12ga is thinking of parting ways with it.

I don't have pictures of it and wont till Saturday of which I'll post up then.

However it's in tidy condition and has had plenty of rounds through her.

Once I get the pics if someone could give me a fair indication of what it could be worth that fantastic.

Or alternatively if you're needing more info I can pass you onto the owner.

Bit of a odd one at best but thought some more knowledgeable people on here could help out.

Cheers

I had one bought of the Taupo guys.
    Full choke both barrels.
    Good gun take a power of work the rabbit board boys put some rounds through.
    Was still tight when I had it.
    My nephews got it now.

somewhere arround $3-400 IF its still functioning well.....Ive heard of them being shot loose and others doing the double discharge thing but never seen it myself...2 SxSs sit in cabinet .... I love the rusky guns..solid and honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    somewhere arround $3-400 IF its still functioning well.....Ive heard of them being shot loose and others doing the double discharge thing but never seen it myself...2 SxSs sit in cabinet .... I love the rusky guns..solid and honest.
    Break-open guns very rarely 'shoot loose' but users who slam them shut (rather than closing them normally) are the real problem. Regular cleaning of the joints and faces plus a drop or two of oil also extends their life. Fortunately for gunsmiths, there is no shortage of owners who lack the common sense to clean and maintain their guns. Perhaps they treat their cars, wife, and kids like shit as well! Strangely enough, many professional shooters (who rely on the performance of their gear to earn their living) are among the worst offenders.

I have a "Russian" one now that is identical to the bikal I grew up using
    I must be exactly the height and build for these guns because they fit me right out of the gate
    I think mines threequater and full choke so lead only
    great for those longer shots

The bastard things forever have smashed into my second finger and bruised it with the back of the trigger guard
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Break-open guns very rarely 'shoot loose' but users who slam them shut (rather than closing them normally) are the real problem. Regular cleaning of the joints and faces plus a drop or two of oil also extends their life. Fortunately for gunsmiths, there is no shortage of owners who lack the common sense to clean and maintain their guns. Perhaps they treat their cars, wife, and kids like shit as well! Strangely enough, many professional shooters (who rely on the performance of their gear to earn their living) are among the worst offenders.
    i look after my guns well but when i put a few drops of oil on the wifes pivot point and yell " open up ya bastards" it somehow fails to work. also can you fit her with a sound suppressor ?

Bos
    Some of the early Board Baikels were side by side double trigger and were very tight in the choke. Later in the seventies, they introduced an over and under with double triggers, and then a few years later modified to a single trigger. Thats when the problem surfaced of both barrels going off at once. Dont recall it happening with double triggers.
    They were all pretty much indestructable and always tight on the choke. Along with the Browning 5 shot, they would have accounted for hundreds of thousands of rabbits hares and possoms over the years.

In 70’s I tendered for and got an ex Rabbit Board 5-shot Browning , $350, had a brand new forend.
    It worked well, got the barrel reblued

Then sold it later for $500, dumb move!

(Not sure why I posted that...)

I had the ubiquitous pest board Baikal O/U double trigger, you could kill bunnies out past 60 M ( right on the limit of your helmet light ) I reckon the choking was full and fuller. I liked the double trigger as you could pick the farthest rabbit and use the more open choke for a closer one.
    I think I paid $350 in about 1979/80 from the shop in Alex.
    I cant recall if I used it in Alex as there was a lot A5's around but you still got paid the allowance.
    Bill999 likes this.

choking LOOKS to be full and fuller using a choke guage...but the CONSTRICTION as % is same as other shotguns,its just that the whole bore is tighter to begin with. eg the choke is 1mm smaller in other types of barrel.... the rusky starting out tighter to begin with is tighter at muzzle to achive same degree of choke%wise and wouldnt need the full 1mm to do it .Ive got one of the single trigger U/Os and use steel through it sucessfully each waterfowl season....they love lighter payloads...possibly because the shot doesnt get so crammed going down bore.