Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Range Finder Bino OR Bino + Range finder

Range Finder Bino OR Bino + Range finder

Right o, as 30th present to myself (around Sika Show Time) I'm considering one of the following

Looking at Leica Geovid HD-R 10x42: I saw at the sika show for around $2800

Name:  Geovid-BRF-8x42-front.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  26.2 KB

Pros: all in one which I like,
    Cons: No Angle comp built in

Option two:

Name:  Leica_HD_10x42_lge.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  24.8 KB

Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 - IIRC at the Sika show around $2200?

Pros: absolute best image quality
    Cons: separate range finder.

PLUS

$700 Vortex 1000 Yard Range finder Built in Angle comp

In reality my shooting will be 100% below 500m but mostly 250-400m range.

My Thinking is, top notch glass will always been (generally) top notch but range finder tech always changes/improves. The Swaro or top end Leica (read $5000 are out of my budget)

Any opinions?

I think you will need to do some more research, re prices you are around 1K plus short on the Leica ones

@Kiwi Greg I was at the Leica stand at the last sika show and those where the prices quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    @Kiwi Greg I was at the Leica stand at the last sika show and those where the prices quoted.
    That may have been the case, but since then things have changed at the wholesalers, margins are be scaled & the prices have gone up as the exchange rate has dropped

The going rate for HDBs is $47-4900

kiwi, Stop... Please
    Munsey likes this.

The dollars in a very different place now!
    All in one every time ... saves a heap of time and one less thing to carry.
    Go with slope correction on the bino if you can.

No issues with my EL 10x42 Range ... long ago forgot about the cost because they are so bloody good.

Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss just doesn't matter if they do slope and give TBR

HDBs rock, just dial this much Boss ....shame they are sooooo spendy

I was quoted 3600 for Ultra Vids and a bit more for Swaro 10x42Els last november and swaro rangefinder binos at 4900.

I ended u with new pair of 10x42 Els I got a "hell deal" on thru work contacts
    I figured while all in one is nice, I am less likely to break both if I take a tumble
    BRADS likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Go for ranging binos, 1 instrument way better than lugging 2 around. I bought some Swaro binos as I already had a range finder, but I should have forked out the extra for the ranging pair of EL-R. Bloody hassle to handle another item when you sight your prey within shooting range.
    Kscott and HUNTY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Go for ranging binos, 1 instrument way better than lugging 2 around. I bought some Swaro binos as I already had a range finder, but I should have forked out the extra for the ranging pair of EL-R. Bloody hassle to handle another item when you sight your prey within shooting range.
    +1, been there ,done that. cheaper in the long run to get the bino - rangefinder combo in one unit,
    and a lot more convenient. have lost deer in past by finding them in binos then getting range finder out of jacket pocket or backpack or where ever i have put them, it
    all takes time and sometimes if an animal is making for the bush you don't have a lot of time. and as for the angle comp, not a biggie as we haven't needed one for the last 100 years, it would be nice to have, but not something that i would have on the" must have " list.
    redbang, kiwijames and Mathias like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    What I found with two (which I had for years & resisted the Geovids) was the binos were excellent glass & high mag, Leica Ultravid 10 x 42 & my rangefinder had excellent glass but only 7 x 20-25mm LRF 800, CRF 1200 & 1600, so it could be difficult to find the target in the rangefinder once it been found in the binos

I went long range Bunny shooting down south years ago & that became extremely frustrating with little targets at 600+ yards, got home & purchased some early SH Geovids, up graded to HDs, then finally to HDBs couldn't be happier

Single unit is much faster to use pain in the ass using binos then having to pull out range finder then read find them to range

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Looks like I'm saving for Range finding binos - I gather is the Bushnell and then the top end Leica and Swaro that does angle comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Looks like I'm saving for Range finding binos - I gather is the Bushnell and then the top end Leica and Swaro that does angle comp?
    If you are starting from scratch & can save enough or long enough and/or can sell some toys get the Leica HDBs,

Then you have fantastic binos, awesome range finder to 2000+ yards, a custom ballistic solution to dial you scope out to 1000 yards & Baro, Angle & Temp to give you the ballistic solution beyond that or for your mates rifle.

Been looking online, seems the Geovid HD-B and EL Range's are the same price... Are they like Ford/Holden? ie 99% similar?