Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which rangefinder?

Which rangefinder?

Yesterday a mate took me to a place that he had found when out hunting. He'd seen some goats hanging out on a distant bluff where he believed I'd be able to take a shot at them from quite a long way (longrange hunting). I'm always on the lookout for such places to hunt in my own time, so I didn't squander the opportunity and went for a walk with him to see for myself.

I currently have a Bushnell 800y rangefinder and for shots out to max 600-700y its always managed to return a range value, all be it sometimes you may have to aim at a nearby tree or rock etc.

As described the spot was perfect, with large rock bluffs and an abundance of goats sunning themselves - it was a longrange shooters paradise. I'd estimated that the range window for this location would be is 600 to 1200y(?). I managed to get a range on the first goat at 801y by aiming at a rock next to it, so I set myself up, entered the data into my ''shooter'' app on the phone and proceeded to smack a 162 Amax right through its shoulders! The the rest of the goats took flight at the disturbance, but pulled up a little further back. They all turned and presented the classic broadside shot as they looked back to try figure out what had just happened? Now no matter how steady I held the rangefinder, or what I aimed at...I just couldn't get a reading. Bugger, opportunity lost and I had to watch them walk away unharmed.

So my questions are;

- what rangefinder in the realistically affordable category should I be looking to buy?
    - what are the pro's and con's for this model
    - Anything else I should know?

Cheers

kj

Leica 1200 CRF or 1600
    199p likes this.

Kiwi Greg and Toby like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

How much money you spend will have a huge impact on how well it will work
    The Leica ones are expensive but work well. A mate has the 1600 one which reliably works out to and beyond 1600 yards, he has had his out too 1800 meters on non reflective targets.

I on the other hand have a Bushnell G-Force 1300. It reliably works out too 700 or 800 yards, but I have had it get readings out too 1200 yards. This all on non reflective targets.
    If I used a tripod I'm sure it will be better, due to the way it ranges it gets data different to the Leica, which requires it to be held still on the target.

The general consensus is that only expect half of the advertised range, as the advertised one is usually based on reflective targets (buildings, road signs, big shiny things).
    It's not until you get into the expensive ones that they work as they say they do. That being said I got reliable readings on some cows in a paddock at 800 something yards.

I brought mine as a Bushnell factory refurbished one off US Ebay, and managed to get it for under $400 NZ, so didn't have to pay tax on it. It look to me as if it was brand new and never used. The Leica will cost you a lot more, but then again will work better.

Have had a few different model leicas. All have ranged very well. Would suggest getting one and not looking back

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    SORRY!!! Just Brought it. Thanks Madjon
    Kiwi Greg, madjon_, kimjon and 1 others like this.

Asked this question a while back and thought long and hard.
    Had a play with a few and bought the 1600-b.
    No regrets, great unit that gives repeatable readings out to about 1400 meters in quite strong sunlight.
    Only gives the 'actual ballistic range' out to 800m, but gives barometric pressure, angle and temperature so you can enter them into your ballistic app and get a solution for anything further.
    Another option at twice the price is the G7 BR2 that will give you a firing solution to about a mile...but it's twice the price and twice the size! The beam divergence is bigger than the Leica, though it has a 'near and far' selector that will help with correct target acquisition.
    I had the G7 in my hands for a play and made my decision.
    I'm VERY happy with my 1600-b!

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    SORRY!!! Just Brought it. Thanks Madjon
    If I hadn't just bought the Bruno 222 you would not have got that
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

All my research led me to 1600b thats why i didnt hesitate at that one on trade me. People were asking about receipts but it had a nz price tag so not import and seller had great reviews and knew what he was talkn about. So legit.
    madjon_ likes this.

Nibblet on here has a Yukon and said it was really good.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Nibblet on here has a Yukon and said it was really good.
    Ranges very easily on grass paddocks out to 1000yards in my testing so far. haven't had the chance for side by side comparison with the glass of leica, but it looks good to my masturbation ruined eyes. And at $550 is bloody cheap.

Take it you didn't end up shooting Nick?
    Gunzrrr likes this.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm starting to see a pattern develop here.

I'll hold off purchasing right now for a week or two before I commit. Its a lot of money to spend on a luxury item and I want to get it right.

kj

Ejected

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Ranges very easily on grass paddocks out to 1000yards in my testing so far. haven't had the chance for side by side comparison with the glass of leica, but it looks good to my masturbation ruined eyes. And at $550 is bloody cheap.

Take it you didn't end up shooting Nick?
    haha you too eh, but it keep the hair from growing on the palms of my hands

Holly shit, that Yukon is tiny! That is looking like something I could work with?

Nibblet, have you tried ranging things like cows in a paddock etc? How far can you reach on objects like that?