Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By sixtus
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By faregame
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By tikka

Thread: Rangefinder and scope setups for subsonics

Rangefinder and scope setups for subsonics

Fellas just wondering what range finders and scope setups are being used out there for low velocity use and what sort of ranges you use them to. Targets, hunting or otherwise. Feel free to add your high velocity setups as well.
    rossi.45 likes this.

I use the distance between my trees (7m) and break my subs trajectory up into 7m sections printed and stuck to my stock with clear tape
    then just count trees

Iv noticed you have to be quite precise with subs so an inch and a half is everything
    sixtus likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have only just finished getting my subsonic rig sorted.
    Bergara 16.5" 308 with DPT mini centrefire suppressor, VX1 2-7x33 scope.
    Load is 8.0 grains of Trailboss behind Robert's 151gr cast hollow points, giving 1080 fps.
    Scope is zeroed at 200m for PPU 150gr factory ammo, Sunday's range session gave me a 50m zero with the subs by dialling up 4.5 MOA, and this is only about 1 inch high at 25m. At 100m was hitting about 8 inches low. Strelok says about 3 inches low at 75m so I consider that the absolute max range.

It's a bush rig, shots are generally only 20m or thereabouts, so would be mainly be looking at head or neck shots with the subs, or choosing not to shoot given bullet energy is only about 4x that of a 22lr sub.
    sixtus likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Sig BDX system on my 300 BLK

A basic 3-9 with a BDC and Strelok on my phone has gotten me a headshot on a bunny at 119m. Shooting CCI Suppressor ~1000fps.
    sixtus likes this.

Was using a Leica CRF 1200 and now Geovids, when I know the weather is going to be bad I will hunt in close and not take the range finder.

As for scope a NXS compact 2.5-10x42 with a MOAR reticle and QR mounts, sometimes will swap the Nightforce for a Aimpoint red dot when trips weathers no good.
    The thing I like about the Nightforce is the zero stop set for supers and turret zero setup for subs, then it’s just a matter of what ammo to use and set the turrets up accordingly.
    sixtus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Was using a Leica CRF 1200 and now Geovids, when I know the weather is going to be bad I will hunt in close and not take the range finder.

As for scope a NXS compact 2.5-10x42 with a MOAR reticle and QR mounts, sometimes will swap the Nightforce for a Aimpoint red dot when trips weathers no good.
    The thing I like about the Nightforce is the zero stop set for supers and turret zero setup for subs, then it’s just a matter of what ammo to use and set the turrets up accordingly.
    Do you have to adjust any windage?

No just the elevation.