Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smidey
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Rangefinder scope or standard scope?

Rangefinder scope or standard scope?

Hi all,
    A friend of mine is getting into hunting and about to purchase his first centerfire rifle. He has a good gun picked out and good all-round calibre. His last concern is the scope. He is interested in a rangefinding scope. He has asked me what I think, but am very biased towards standard reticle scopes and judge distance myself. I haven't used rangefinding scopes, but have heard mixed reviews. What is everyone elses opinions on this?

His options so far is between a Bushnell 4-12 x 42 rangefinding scope or a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50.
    Its hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

I looked at exactly this for a mate, went with normal scope.
    All replies on here was that it would be like mounting a bus on top of the rifle, tho how much does a scope and separate rangefinder and phone weigh compared?

I think if shooting many animals at modest ranges (eg culling on private property) the rangefinding scope has merit but at longer ranges leaves some to be desired.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Personally I prefer to have lots of toys to play with instead of one toy. I have just finished buying some gear and decided I would prefer to do a little math and play with a rangefinder and dial then let a computer do it for me. But that's just me. As said above there is merit to both. and another scope choice to throw out there vx6 4-24x52 just got one an the glass quality is amazing. IMO worth the extra coin.
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

As VC said, they weigh the same as a bus and only good for medium ranges. Not enough adjustment for longer and the laser isn't good enough either past 800m.
    They are also dead weight if he goes bush hunting in tighter stuff.

Get a good scope and if required a seperate range finder.
    Welcome to Sako club.

1. I'd suggest that someone just getting into hunting with his first center fire should avoid taking shots that need a range- finder . ie under 2O0 m. whether for deer or rabbit.
    2. look at the warranty for optics v electro . A good scope will last 10- 20 yr but laser are often only guaranteed for 2 and technology also advances quickly.

A separate range finder will also allow him top use it with other rifles, for me a range finder is useful on my 223 that had a vortex bdc reticle scope and my hmr for shooting hares etc at ranges so two of my the rifles I use regularly are covered

Sent from my workbench
    7mmsaum likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Apart from the weight the Laser in the scope is not powerful enough to handle light drizzle or mist. A separate rangefinder is the way to go.
    7mmsaum likes this.