Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Rapidfire Review: Savage B Mag Target 17 WSM

Rapidfire Review: Savage B Mag Target 17 WSM

Winchester released the 17 Winchester Super Magnum in 2012 and I have been keen to try one ever since.

Early support from major manufacturers was pretty limited and reports of the quality and accuracy of the ammunition was not great.

Fast-forward to 2021, CV19 is in full effect and the ammo and rifle issues that plagued the 17WSM on launch have largely settled down (Par for the course).

Hornady market a 20gr polymer tipped round, Winchester has 20gr and 25gr offerings and Federal (American Eagle) offer 20gr BT. Olin (Winchester) reputedly make all of the ammunition for Federal and Hornady and I managed to secure a box of each offering less the federal which I can't find in NZ.

The rifle sits in a right-hand laminate thumbhole stock which is very comfortable. It has a black rubber recoil pad, dual sling studs up front, a 'beavertail' forend and feels good in the shoulder. The trigger guard is a polymer one piece that is held onto the stock with two Philips head screws. The rear of the trigger guard covers the rear action screw, overall the trigger guard does not look very robust, but its lightweight and does the job.

The rifle is fed from a polymer 8 shot rotary magazine and comes with one standard. I ordered a second for high volume rabbits. They are easy to load providing you have the rear of the cartridge snug against the back of the magazine and feed very reliably.

The barrel is 17mm at the muzzle and is heavy for a rimfire. Its 22" long and has a 1:8 twist. The barrel was not centered in the stock, indicating some warping might have occurred. The action is fitted to the stock via two action screws, the front one mates with a cylinder that is held to the barrel via a C clip and moves. Noting this and watching reviews from America on YouTube I elected to do a quick bedding job to;

1: Ensure the barrel is centered as possible in the stock and is free floating, and;

2: Make sure the action is held firmly and returns to the same location every time I clean it and re-assemble.

Normally I use JB weld or epoxy, but for a rimfire elected to try some 'Knead it' epoxy putty, a quick sand, drill and 5 mins with the putty and nugget and it was good to go. Epoxy putty is as hard as metal when set and sets in 15min, great for repairs of the mechanical nature if you find yourself in the bad lands of South Sudan and you radiator has a hole in it from a 7.62

In this case it worked great and straightened up that barrel and didn't lock the gun up.

The trigger unit is all polymer less the springs and blade. I'm not a fan off 'accutriggers' but this one had a knurled plastic wheel that simply turns into detents to adjust weight. I managed to get it down to a consistent 2lb which was good enough for me. Adjusting the trigger did feel like I was moments from breaking something, the trigger assembly and guard feel cheap and not robust.

The bolt is hardened steel and interestingly, cock on closing. The bolt requires significant force to close, but is lightning fast to open. The receiver comes fitted with two piece bases which I checked and applied red Loctite.

I fitted the rifle with a set of medium steel rings and a Weaver 4-16x44 Grand Slam, Japanese glass is always a crowd pleaser, and the old Weaver doesn't disappoint.

At the range I got it sighted in at 100m and fired a 5 shot group with each type of ammunition. It was windy, I was on a bench (I normally do accuracy testing prone) which I hate and I was under time pressure. Never a good combo for accuracy testing.

The LabRadar gave the following:

Win 20gr 2919fps ES76 SD32 Group Size: 23mm
    Win 25gr 2580fps ES99 SD41 Group Size: 39mm
    Hdy 20gr 2960fps ES38 SD18 Group Size: 11mm

After the three groups I sorted a rest out and shot the 11mm group with the Hornady. I'm sure it can do better with the Winchester loads as I get familiar with the rifle and if I take my bipod and rear bag to the range next time.

A bit slower than advertised (20gr 3000fps, 25gr 2600fps) but nice to shoot.

The empties fly about 30 feet in the old money and surprisingly the more I shot the better the bolt felt, occasionally I would cam the bolt over before the bolt handle was 'in slot' which was an interesting sensation!

Recoil is non existent and the rifle is proving to be very accurate. I'm glad I bedded it and its in a Hardy Rifle Engineering getting an over barrel rimfire suppressor fitted as I write. I'm confident as the barrel runs in it will speed up slightly and the suppressor will add to the accuracy.

When I get it back its off after Possums and Rabbits, then down south to see how it goes on Roos.

If you are in the Lower Nth Island and know a spot for goats I'd love to try it out with 25gr.

In sum, built to a price point, ammo costs the same as 22 Mag, but I think you will easily get 200m+ on small game and medium light skinned game should be OK up to 150m making it a bit more versatile. As long as ammunition is in supply I think it will be an economic and fun shooter.

Photos below.
    Warm Barrels!

Name:  B152E11A-D319-449B-B74A-6B50A23037EC.jpeg
Views: 1473
Size:  4.44 MB
    Name:  65379D9E-FC8B-43A0-9DB3-5E2F466061D3.jpeg
Views: 1289
Size:  2.51 MB
    Name:  7B371F20-ED36-47F8-B647-227EF72F920B.jpeg
Views: 1259
Size:  2.31 MB
    Name:  7BF452DA-0DA9-4092-840C-C702E5C68995.jpeg
Views: 1241
Size:  2.44 MB
    Name:  153567F6-1F5D-4D97-9862-A11D654279AF.jpeg
Views: 1241
Size:  4.01 MB
    Warm Barrels!

I think it will go the way of the 17 HMR 2 round.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I think it will go the way of the 17 HMR 2 round.
    The Mach 2?

It’s still alive and well.

30,000 rounds in stock with the Nz supplier and a few rifle makers still offer it, they are just not imported into nz
    Last edited by 300_BLK; 13-08-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    Warm Barrels!

This is the rimfire I would like. Cross between a 22 wmr and a 17hmr. The outright grunt of one but flatter shooting like the other but even moreso
    Needs way more support to do well but is let down a bit.
    Not many to pick from

Had one of these for a while, initially the thin barrelled plastic stocked one which was very flimsy and replaced with the heavy contour Boyd’s stocked model. Had similar results testing the different ammo available, hornady performed best. Ruger did an M77 version which is real nice, mate has one but I can’t pry it out of him, haven’t seen another one. Heaps of fun and pisses all over the HMR and cheaper to shoot than my 22 hornet. Only thing I’d change if I could is the trigger. Suppressor makes a good improvement.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Thanks for that 300_BLK, very interesting.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    shame the semi auto versions are so expensive.
    Your choices are even more limited there.
    Dont believe Volquartsen are making them any more.
    That only leaves Franklin armory's AR lookalike.
    They seem to shoot very well apparently but are even more.expensive.
    Would be the most powerful semiauto allowed here in NZ without a special permit.
    Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Your choices are even more limited there.
    Dont believe Volquartsen are making them any more.
    That only leaves Franklin armory's AR lookalike.
    They seem to shoot very well apparently but are even more.expensive.
    Would be the most powerful semiauto allowed here in NZ without a special permit.
    Food for thought
    JARD make a good one, plenty of them in NZ at the moment
    Warm Barrels!

That may be the one I was thinking of
    Edit:just had a look see. I had the Franklin armory thing right. They are dear as poison. Jard not cheap but half the price
    Last edited by csmiffy; 16-08-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Just started shooting a Jard 16".

Fwiw I'm getting 2750fps Av with the Winchester 20gr load

2450fps Av with the 25gr load

I chronied 10 shots of each, and I found that 9/10 were loaded pretty consistently, minimal ES/SD, but there was always one in the mag that blew the ES out to 100fps.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Just started shooting a Jard 16".

Fwiw I'm getting 2750fps Av with the Winchester 20gr load

2450fps Av with the 25gr load

I chronied 10 shots of each, and I found that 9/10 were loaded pretty consistently, minimal ES/SD, but there was always one in the mag that blew the ES out to 100fps.

I too have been shooting the exact same rifle. Do you find you get one random flyer because of this? Mine has shot some very small 10 shot groups (some of the best I have ever shot with a rimfire at 100m) however there is always one flyer that lands a quite a distance from the others. I thought it might have been my scope however it appears to do the same with a red dot at 50m just a bit less noticeable.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Interesting & good review thanks Fraser.

Been thinking about one of these over the past couple of years, have done the loop of hmr - 17hornet - back to hmr again but would like something rimfire with more legs & the wsm seems to fill that gap & ammo price is comparable nowadays.

Just wish there were more options of nice bolt action wsm rifles available
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Interesting & good review thanks Fraser.

Been thinking about one of these over the past couple of years, have done the loop of hmr - 17hornet - back to hmr again but would like something rimfire with more legs & the wsm seems to fill that gap & ammo price is comparable nowadays.

Just wish there were more options of nice bolt action wsm rifles available
    Or a nice semi auto with out all the black and plastic