Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is it reasonable to expect....

Is it reasonable to expect....

Hey All,

I've just bought a new rifle today and when I got it home to "ahhhh" over it, I took a light to the muzzle and saw chatter marks from the tooling. I'm planning on taking it back to the shop tomorrow and asking them to order another one in. Surely this is a reasonable request that they should follow or not?

Cheers,
    G

What brand ? Model ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Just speed bumps? I'd take it back and ask the question

A lot of hamer forged barrels have these marks, but they still seam to shoot okay.

Kj

winchester m70 extreme weather. Bar the chatter marks she's a pretty sweet rifle but from past experiences - chatter marks are not good! There was also copper fouling which made me I would have thought even if they had fired a test round or two at the factory they would clean it? Not sure winchester does a test fire or not?

Cheers

Kj - are they normally quite noticeable? I'm sure it will shoot fine, it's just the copper fouling that will annoy me

Not uncommon with these AFAIK

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Try this for size Winny Extreme Weather chatter marks
    Hope its not the same shooter

Hey kiwijames,

Yeah I saw that. Not quite as bad as that, but still noticable to the naked eye easy enough. I just hope I don't have a battle like he did. I'll find out tomorrow though when I take it back in. First time I've ever seen a brand new rifle with copper fouling evident though

Well you did buy American Made I gave up on buying U.S. made rifles years ago due to this kind of thing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    winchester m70 extreme weather. Bar the chatter marks she's a pretty sweet rifle but from past experiences - chatter marks are not good! There was also copper fouling which made me I would have thought even if they had fired a test round or two at the factory they would clean it? Not sure winchester does a test fire or not?

Cheers
    My ultimate shadow was the same re copper fouling.but didnt really think much of it.and at the end of the day didnt effect my barrel.I might pull the other three of the wall and have a closer look at them on saturday.

I received the replacement rifle yesterday and it has no chatter marks which is great, but the copper still is there so I'm assuming they don't clean them once they've been fired from the factory. Look foward to putting some rounds through it and seeing how it shoots.

Neckshot - be interested to hear back and see what your findings are. How does your ultimate shadow shoot?
    JoshC and Neckshot like this.

Let us know how it goes mate. I really like them.

Will do Josh. I've just finally finished getting the copper out of the barrel Had to leave boretech in it overnight and today. It looks like the copper has "burnt" taking of a layer of stainless as there is now white "patches" where the copper was. I'll let the the store I bought it from know, and then go out and put a few rounds through her

Those are probably just clean bits of s/s protected from carbon by the first bullet laying copper on its way down the tube.

Do you reload? I have found firing a few blanks down a clean barrel to lay down some carbon virtually iliminates copper in a barrel that only "streaks" a bit.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.