Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By Steverusty
  • 4 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By gonebush
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 2 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By Allgood
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Dama dama
  • 1 Post By sixtus

Thread: recoil pad for bench and load testing

recoil pad for bench and load testing

Fellas anyone know any good options in the above. Looking to give an old shooter returning to the sport one for christmas. He was getting bruised with some load development of a 270win at the bench. He's in his mid 60's, I thought trying a new trick for an old dog might help him out until he is handling recoil again. I know there used to be a 'past recoil shield' the shotgun guys used to use. I see quite a few options on ebay, giving me a headache trying to research what's good or not though. Any suggestions or shortcuts appreciated.

Buy him a limbsaver pad,tamed my lite 270
    Micky Duck, sixtus and mimms2 like this.

A Limbsaver and a suppressor and things will be all good.

Gone but not forgotten
    None of my rifles have recoil pads, I found I was getting quite bruised during range sessions with the 308 so got a Pachmayr slip-on recoil pad, it makes quite a difference.
    sixtus likes this.

defiantly recommend the limbsaver just put one on my 7mmRM and now it feels like a .243
    sixtus likes this.

northdude
    Following this i need one as well
    sixtus likes this.

Reduced recoil loads, 270s known for being snappy
    Add a heavy scope or lead shot where ever you can glue it internally, basically just add weight
    Limbsaver and suppressor (not in Aus tho) or maybe a muzzle brake
    Starting with a caliber that's more recoil friendly would be smart then doing some of the above
    Something like a 243 running 80gr in a sensible weight, recoil will be a non issue
    sixtus likes this.

I just use a piece of foam bedding roll, but that does not make for a nice gift...but very practical and cheap.
    stevodog and sixtus like this.

A Past recoil pad is a better alternative in my view. You wear it ( a bit like a bra). Bought one to use when working up a load for my 375 H&H magnum and when shooting my 10.75X 68 Mauser at the range.....

30 shots out of the 375 and absolutely no ill effects from the recoil. It can be used for multi rifles instead of being fixed to one. It lives in my range bag.

here is a review.... https://www.chuckhawks.com/past_recoil_pads.htm
    sixtus likes this.

my poohseventy has worn a bisley shotgun recoil pad for 30 years...deliberately trimmed generously....more surface area the better....she still gave me love bites if I didnt shoulder her 100% correctly. fitted a suppressor...now it is much much more pleasant to shoot...my previous mild loads have gone and the loads I use now are top end of hot.... the .308 I own is similar in weight...maybe a flea shit heavier...that has a limbsaver on it and even with 180-200 grn loads its more of a push than a boot...a reall pussy to shoot.
    suppress and add limbsaver.
    Cordite and sixtus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I just use a piece of foam bedding roll, but that does not make for a nice gift...but very practical and cheap.
    With 270 and 308, that is what I do. Just slip it down under my clothes. I have a very thin recoil pad on my Stug stock, so needs it. Rather be comfortable than tough.
    sixtus likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Reduced recoil loads, 270s known for being snappy
    Add a heavy scope or lead shot where ever you can glue it internally, basically just add weight
    Limbsaver and suppressor (not in Aus tho) or maybe a muzzle brake
    Starting with a caliber that's more recoil friendly would be smart then doing some of the above
    Something like a 243 running 80gr in a sensible weight, recoil will be a non issue
    What he said. Get rid of it and replace it with a 243. Failing that get a limbsaver and muzzle brake. Shame suppressors are prohibited in Aussie!

no difference between a poohseventy running 110grn pills and a 243 running 100s....a little more noise from little more powder but recoil will be very similar,and there are some VERY usefull 110grn projectiles for the .270 out there now....you can go lighter too as 6.8spc projectiles will work too.

Thanks fellas I ended up ordering him a caldwell( I think) recoil shield, one of the ones you wear across the shoulder. I explained some of the theory of recoil, lighter bullets, heavier gun etc but he wants it as is and will be shooting larger game so needs decent bullets. If the pad doesn't work he will just have to harden up.
    Allgood likes this.