Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hayden C

Thread: Recoil pad for a Sako 85 Hunter.....?

Recoil pad for a Sako 85 Hunter.....?

hi guys, the LOP for my Sako 85 Hunter is short for my long arms, i want to put a thicker 'recoil pad' on the end of the stock

ive been surfing the net for days, this is all ive got up to now,

will a Limbsaver model #10011 be the best fit, its advertised for Tikka T3s....?

While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Have you considered placing a bit of prespex (or similar) between the original pad and stock to get the desired LOP.

Cheap, adjustable and easily removed if required.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

LOC
    yeah that's the limbsaver model. have put that model in both 75's and 85's. the fit is perfect for a 75 and 99% right for an 85.
    have one on my finnlight which was super easy to install, but for another 85 Kodiak which is wood stocked i could not find screws so was unable to install it. some say the screws are there but the hole in the recoil pad 'disappears' but i didn't want to risk ruining the existing pad to find the screws
    others may be able to confirm for sure that there are in fact screws in the wooden stock 85's

@Hayden C yeah ive done that on other firearms before (mossy shotgun for one) but its my Sako man....has to look mint!!!!!!
    @LOC saw a yank thread saying the same thing, glued on apparently.....will get it done professionally, dont want to fuk it up.........

so at least ive got the model of pad correct, will wait a week and see if anybody else chimes in.....DONT BE SHY

LOC
    @Scouser that 85 Kodiak of mine is in 375 H&H so being a pussy I wanted a better recoil pad on it as the factory one is quite hard - I ended up putting a slip on limbsaver on it. Definitely increases the length of pull but also adds a bit of weight and looks a bit ugly

Second post down http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n.../index285.html

If getting a gunsmith to do it you could look at a grind to fit Limbsaver or Pachmayr and add some spacers. Down the thinner (lower) end of the recoil pad that #10011 model is slightly slimmer than the shape of the 85 pad and a few mm longer at the very point. That is vs Finnlight synthetic stock

Limbsavers also have a bit of a habit of getting a bit 'tacky' as they age. The Pachmayr ones seem a bit harder and might last longer in better condition if permanently affixed.

Big thanks @LOC that's the advice I'm looking for mate.......I will look into that, cheers