Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Recommend me a rail (or scope) mounted torch

Recommend me a rail (or scope) mounted torch

As the title says, I'm looking for a reccomendation on a good quality torch that can be mounted to a a pic rail or to a scope like the LED Lenser adapters.

Basically something I can mount to an AR with an adjustable lens and spotlight anything from rabbits to deer/pigs. I was looking at the dual beam lensers, But they look somewhat clunky and have a beam distance of 320m (so like 250). Is my only option in the NZ market really the massive lensers with like 6 led? Seems like other brands that throw out apparent 1500-2500 lumens have a battery life of an hour and have dubious build quality.

Maxtoch. Check the sticky in gear and equipment.
    timattalon likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Maxtoch. Check the sticky in gear and equipment.
    All the way. Really impressive.

The Maxtoch are awesome. Make those Lensers look like kids toys, easy beam range out to 600m and more. The M24 seems to be the most popular for scope mounting but the 2X can also be scope mounted but its just a little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    As the title says, I'm looking for a reccomendation on a good quality torch that can be mounted to a a pic rail or to a scope like the LED Lenser adapters.

Basically something I can mount to an AR with an adjustable lens and spotlight anything from rabbits to deer/pigs. I was looking at the dual beam lensers, But they look somewhat clunky and have a beam distance of 320m (so like 250). Is my only option in the NZ market really the massive lensers with like 6 led? Seems like other brands that throw out apparent 1500-2500 lumens have a battery life of an hour and have dubious build quality.
    Check out my Olights

European Optics from Europe

The Maxtoch they all talk about seems same configuration etc.
    The Olight are more expensive - are they better ???

Maxtoch 2X is well beyond the top Olight M3XS-UT Javelot. The Olight produces about 250,000 lux, which the Maxtoch does in medium mode, with top mode set at 365,000. Also Olight has to stepdown in hi - can only offer its 250k lux for few minutes before stepping down to lower output. Maxtoch will run at 365,000 continuously. OLight uses XPL-HI led from memory which we tried when developing the Maxtochs, but dropped in favour of the more efficient XML2-U4 led. This led gave us greater output at lower amps which means cooler running and longer runtimes, and enabled us to produce more natural colour (CRI or colour rendition index) than the XPLs. Gadgetman might remember the details/amps etc from test models.

Top Olight M3X is a good light but the Maxtoch 2X is well ahead of it - esp for hunting which is what they're designed for. Maxtoch M24 is slightly smaller than 2X but still well ahead of Olight at 305,000 lux output.
    Pengy likes this.

My maxtoch M24 gets a real hammering, and used a few times a week for the rabbit collection.
    To increase runtime and decrease weight on the gun, I run the light from a remote battery. The small LiPo gives 4 hours, and the big one over 24 hours.

I found that the Maxtoch 2x is currently available on Aliexpress for nearly 1/4 the price of the Olight Javelot... I'm normally the guy who has to buy the most expensive branded items, But this light seems to be a field above the Olight so I'll be going with that option I think.

Is the main body of the Maxtoch a 30mm tube to fit a generic scope/rail mount to it? And if I use a rail mount then will there be enough clearance to attach it to a quad rail? And if and when I switch it over to my .22 for rabbits, is the low setting good out to 100-150 So I don't blind them into running away?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I found that the Maxtoch 2x is currently available on Aliexpress for nearly 1/4 the price of the Olight Javelot... I'm normally the guy who has to buy the most expensive branded items, But this light seems to be a field above the Olight so I'll be going with that option I think.

Is the main body of the Maxtoch a 30mm tube to fit a generic scope/rail mount to it? And if I use a rail mount then will there be enough clearance to attach it to a quad rail? And if and when I switch it over to my .22 for rabbits, is the low setting good out to 100-150 So I don't blind them into running away?
    Check out the other thread, all the info is there. I scope mount and have a rail adapter on my scopes and switch between rifles. I like to have the torch with it's front behind the bell of my scope so that the barrel and suppressor are in the shadow of the scope bell in order to cut down any reflection. More often than not, if the rabbits run they run towards you.
    timattalon likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Check out the other thread, all the info is there. I scope mount and have a rail adapter on my scopes and switch between rifles. I like to have the torch with it's front behind the bell of my scope so that the barrel and suppressor are in the shadow of the scope bell in order to cut down any reflection. More often than not, if the rabbits run they run towards you.
    I have mine mounted on the barrel (Heavy barrel so no flex...)and slightly off to the left rather than straight down. I can operate the on / off button with my left hand without letting go of the rifle fore end...

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I have mine mounted on the barrel (Heavy barrel so no flex...)and slightly off to the left rather than straight down. I can operate the on / off button with my left hand without letting go of the rifle fore end...
    I used to do that with the 22. Torch under barrel, extend one finger to switch on/off.

@Macca the old man and one of my mates has the Led Lenser with the two beams that are adjustable. Dunno what it's called but we used them on deer and wallabies to 250m easy #nightsun
    Warm Barrels!

Both the Maxtoch 2X and M24 are designed with 25mm tubes to fit standard rings.

Seriously, if you're in the market for a hunting torch/spotlight, find someone with either an M24 or the latest 2X.
    Their performance + value for money= complete no-brainer. You won't be disappointed. Dozens and dozens on here will back that up.

I spent and bought the 2X for rabbits and deer. Has a wider flood beam which is better as I mainly hunt alone and so can't f around once loosing the animal in a narrow beam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M