Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By 10-Ring
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 4 Post By 223nut

Thread: Recommendations for cheap, legal, 2-4 gun safe?

Recommendations for cheap, legal, 2-4 gun safe?

I'm looking to buy a reasonably cheap gun safe that fits all the legal specs and fits between 2 and 4 rifles.
    I'm looking at the Double Tuffy at Gun City for $179, but a friend said that he bought that and was failed by two inspectors as apparently it wasn't up to scratch for the specs. Shouldn't really be an issue for me as I have had my license for ages and it probably won't be inspected, but it would be good for it to be all legit.

Any recommendations?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Buy decent security, install it securely and be done with it. Those Double Tuffy's look pretty flimsy. If you're on a real tight budget consider a second hand gun cabinet of good quality.
    308 and capey like this.

Build one out of 20mm ply, it would be way stronger and cost about the same. Also build it bigger than you think you need. Guns have a way of mysteriously growing in number.
    capey likes this.

I got mine from trademe for 300 bucks. But it's not an 8 gun safe as advertised it's more of a 5.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    capey likes this.

buy some 6mm eyebolts minimum from mitre 10 screw em in corner of wardrobe around 400mm off the ground put a padlock on it and your done. cheap as.
    I still have A-Cat guns secured like that because no room in e-cat safe

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    buy some 6mm eyebolts minimum from mitre 10 screw em in corner of wardrobe around 400mm off the ground put a padlock on it and your done. cheap as.
    I still have A-Cat guns secured like that because no room in e-cat safe
    And we wonder why they are changing the requirements for firearm storage....

My advise is buy the best security you can afford. I'd be rather pissed off if someone came into my house and stole $1000s of rifles by cutting an eye bolt with a $10 hacksaw
    10-Ring, Tommy, systolic and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    And we wonder why they are changing the requirements for firearm storage....

My advise is buy the best security you can afford. I'd be rather pissed off if someone came into my house and stole $1000s of rifles by cutting an eye bolt with a $10 hacksaw
    you are 100%correct @223nut but as it stands right now that method is Legal and Cheap, and he did ask for Legal and Cheap options

I got my one off TM, does the job. The only thing I suggest is consider the old fashioned mechanical key lock type and not electronic one.

Also, while not cheap chatting to Police / AOs over the last fews years the only serious interest of crims is AR15s. So if you are into AR15s (probably AKs as well) I suggest getting an E cat safe to hold it, a small 4 gun one isnt expensive. This also applies to AR15 ammo and bolts/mags, hence I have 3 separate safes.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"