Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By tommygun

Thread: Reloading for the .455 Webley

Reloading for the .455 Webley

I've only loaded rifle cartridges up until now, so after any advice on the 455. Might be a stupid question but do I need to crimp the bullets? I've got trail boss on hand so would like to try that first, has anyone got any loads they'd recommend?
    Cheers

All revolver loads should be crimped. In addition to preventing the bullets moving under recoil, it also significantly improves accuracy because of the consistent bullet pull pressure.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I've only loaded rifle cartridges up until now, so after any advice on the 455. Might be a stupid question but do I need to crimp the bullets? I've got trail boss on hand so would like to try that first, has anyone got any loads they'd recommend?
    Cheers
    Trail boss does not like being compressed you may get some weird results, Try AS30 Red Dot 700X WW231and AP70, The old Webley is stronger than it is given
    credit for; there are some shooting .45 ACP in them foolhardy but shows how strong they are, Standard velocity is about 600-700fps you could try Black powder
    it is what the early .450 calibres used the .450 .476 .455 all shot the same bullet the only difference is the case length, you do need to crimp on the curve of the bullet
    Google to find the correct over all length I can't remember what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    All revolver loads should be crimped. In addition to preventing the bullets moving under recoil, it also significantly improves accuracy because of the consistent bullet pull pressure.
    I should be able to crimp by adjusting the seating die, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I should be able to crimp by adjusting the seating die, correct?
    Yes, set your bullet depth them back off the seating plug, take the die down in 1/4 turn intervals to get a nice crimp then reset your seating plug to suit.

Name:  IMG_20210118_155935.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  3.83 MBName:  IMG_20210118_160638.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  3.32 MB @gundoc does this look like a sufficient crimp? I think I've got it pretty close to the factory one

A wee bit more would be perfect, just so about 65% of the case wall thickness is biting into the bullet. The old .455 is a good mid-range cartridge and a proven stopper in military service. It will do anything the .45 ACP will do, and the old military (now outlawed for many years) Mk III hollow-point 'man stopper' was a devastating 'flying dustbin'! It was developed for stopping drug-crazed Dervishes in their tracks but was outlawed by the Hague Convention before WW1 (along with the MkIV hollow-point .303).
    tommygun and Cordite like this.

Here is the iconic .455 Webley appearing as Lieutenant Pinkerton's service pistol in a dire, haunting scene.
    Later in the clip his son, "Pink", finds a box of .455 cartridges (notice the copper primers!) among his dad's stuff.
    Hard to see how crimped they are, but they're clearly seated in a tight neck, bulging it out.

Driverman and ZQLewis like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I like how Indy was presumably going to shoot down the German plane had he had the ammo, talk about stopping power!
    Cordite likes this.