Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: rem700 mountain rifle

rem700 mountain rifle

Am looking at the new Remington 700 mountain rifle in 308, and wondered if anyone here knows much about them. Pros, cons? To me they look like sex on bread

Ive had a couple of Remington 700 rifles, cant really fault them, good actions, accurate, the stocks can feel a little "plasticy and hollow" but I think they have changed the composite material now for the stocks so should be good. Great rifles go for it.
    mikee likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

The mountain rifles have b&c stocks i think. So should be a good shooter. Probably the best stock on a rifle in that price range?

MSL
    Not a fan of the stock, very thick around the pistol grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an older synthetic/stainless one in 30-06.
    Mine has been a great hunting rifle as it is light, robust & an ok shooter.
    The only cons for me have been that it is pretty lively off the bench. It was my only centre fire rifle for many years, I have better suited rifles for plinking now.
    Can't say I've ever noticed the recoil impulse lining up on an animal though yet.
    My one doesn't have a floor plate, not sure if the newer ones do? So I have to cycle any unused rounds at the end of the day. I think it also makes it a bit fiddly to clean unless you drop the action out of the stock.
    Aesthetically, I think they are a nicely proportioned rifle, the stock on my one is very slender all round.

I preferred the laminate older ones but these look good. You could get a tikka and b+c stock for around the same money if thats your thing.

MSL
    Yeah the older ones are nice and slender, as a 'mountain rifle' should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I have an older synthetic/stainless one in 30-06.
    Mine has been a great hunting rifle as it is light, robust & an ok shooter.
    The only cons for me have been that it is pretty lively off the bench. It was my only centre fire rifle for many years, I have better suited rifles for plinking now.
    Can't say I've ever noticed the recoil impulse lining up on an animal though yet.
    My one doesn't have a floor plate, not sure if the newer ones do? So I have to cycle any unused rounds at the end of the day. I think it also makes it a bit fiddly to clean unless you drop the action out of the stock.
    Aesthetically, I think they are a nicely proportioned rifle, the stock on my one is very slender all round.
    I had one of those in 25/06 25 years ago, bloody good gun. Would buy another Remington with no worries. M700s are pretty well proven
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

aren't they just a 700 with a b+c stock? didn't like the b+c stock I had as said above a bit big in the pistol grip and fore end didn't really feel like it had much grip, and when the coating wears off it looks horrible

theyre the same weight as a standard t3 just about

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I had one of those in 25/06 25 years ago, bloody good gun. Would buy another Remington with no worries. M700s are pretty well proven
    Iv got 1 of the early models in 2506 brought it from sportsways gunshed in 92.... light barrel slim stock i wasnt that happy with its accuracy so they glass bedded it after that it was too to go as above..bloody good gun
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    aren't they just a 700 with a b+c stock? didn't like the b+c stock I had as said above a bit big in the pistol grip and fore end didn't really feel like it had much grip, and when the coating wears off it looks horrible

theyre the same weight as a standard t3 just about
    Mountain rifle has a shorter and lighter profile barrel than the standard 700 SPS.

Cheers everyone for the feedback, will be able to purchase one soon hopefully, will probably put a vx3 on it if funds allow. I must say that I'm impressed with the forum and the collective knowledge and experience
    Danny likes this.

I started with a cheap Remington 770 in 308 which I had to suppress as it was pushin me uphill when I fired it. Since then it has been my goto tool even tho I have a couple of others in smaller cal. I do want to keep the 308 cal, just would like some refinements in the rifle. I have also been looking at the x bolt as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    I started with a cheap Remington 770 in 308 which I had to suppress as it was pushin me uphill when I fired it.
    For real? it must weight less than a pound cos 308 is a pussycat

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

It was my first centerfire too, so was developing a flinch so can on and its a lot easier to use now.