Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree33Likes
  • 19 Post By lee308
  • 1 Post By winaa
  • 2 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 1 Post By Jit
  • 1 Post By lee308
  • 5 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By tommygun
  • 1 Post By tommygun
  • 2 Post By Uplandstalker

Thread: Remington 700 from 308 to 6.5CM Criterion prefit barrel quick job report

Remington 700 from 308 to 6.5CM Criterion prefit barrel quick job report

After asking suggestions from shooting mates, experienced forum members and gunsmith with varies custom build options. I have decided to do a home quick project to turn my Rem 700 Kreiger 24" barrelled 308win into a 26" Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor. Since I have all the action wrench and a basic barrel vice set up from the last project changing the factory 308 barrel to a Kreiger, it was smooth sailing.
    Here is my little report, not a literary masterpiece but I hope you guys enjoy it.

Name:  IMG_9063.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  110.8 KBName:  IMG_9064.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  89.8 KBName:  IMG_9066.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  128.7 KB

This time was nowhere near as hard to crack the barrel off as the factory Remington one. The factory barrel had so much locktite on there, I remembered it took a few heavy blows and almost lifting my 100kg solid wooden table.
    Anyway off goes the Kreiger and on goes the Criterion. It's much thinner profile (too thin for my liking really) but I had to work with what's available.
    Headspace "go gauge" inserted and bolt closed. I backed off the locking nut then tightened the barrel into the action to a touch hand tight and cycled the bolt to see if it has any trouble at all. screwed on the locking nut to hand tight and ran the "no-go gauge" to make sure the chamber is not too loose.
    Name:  IMG_9069.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  116.2 KBName:  IMG_9071.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  74.8 KB

Got the locking nut tightened up and torqued, she's back in shape.

Name:  IMG_9072.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  113.4 KBName:  IMG_9075.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  118.3 KB

MDT chassis bolted back up.
    I decided to make a little bag rider for it with an alloy rod, not a pro job but happy with what my little milling machine did.

Name:  IMG_9143.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  91.2 KBName:  IMG_9144.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  93.0 KBName:  IMG_9158.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  89.0 KB

I gave the barrel a good clean before I shot it to make sure there is no oil or other crap left in it with all the mucking around I did.
    Shooting it was fun, recoil was minimal. Breaking in the barrel was done with Nosler 140 HPBT, AR2209 40-41.5 grain, loaded in new Lapua Small primer brass. Sighted the scope in at the same time.
    Final 5 shot group on the day was shot with 41.5 grain of AR 2209 and the group looks tightish, but for some reason it went across sideways.
    I suspected shooter's error by loading the Harris bipod wrongly on a slightly sloped area.

Name:  IMG_9157.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  115.7 KB

I hope you guys like my report and I will shoot this set up more and show more results of load development in the next few month.
    Thanks to all the people who have been giving me advice. Thanks to our local fellow shooter and importer John Herbert who got these Criterion barrels in at a good price.

Hey that's awesome I have been pondering this for long time (actually 2 rifles ago) but never really took the leap. Nice write up Thanks for sharing, I may go that way myself in the future I have asked John if he could bring me in a barrel in a different caliber than he has in stock for my T3X so I will see what he come's up with.
    lee308 likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    Hey that's awesome I have been pondering this for long time (actually 2 rifles ago) but never really took the leap. Nice write up Thanks for sharing, I may go that way myself in the future I have asked John if he could bring me in a barrel in a different caliber than he has in stock for my T3X so I will see what he come's up with.
    Yes, if you have the action wrench, barrel vice already. Just get a set of headspace gauge ready at the same time. oh and a savage style barrel nut wrench. John is hard to get hold of at times so you have to hustle hard.

Hi Lee,

as to the shot stringing i found the following link quite useful for some self diagnosis of shot stringing from technique. Small-bore Shooting - Group diagnosis - by W.H. Fuller

But then the big takeout for me...was you need to shoot lots of shots to confirm its just your bad technique..LOL. be consistent in your consistency, but let your self relax and release yourself to the magic...
    rossi.45 and lee308 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Jit
    Hey nice work. I’ve always wondered about a home barrel change.
    Makes it look quite achievable and easier than my first full Remmy action bedding with Nathan Fosters resin.
    lee308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Hi Lee,

as to the shot stringing i found the following link quite useful for some self diagnosis of shot stringing from technique. Small-bore Shooting - Group diagnosis - by W.H. Fuller

But then the big takeout for me...was you need to shoot lots of shots to confirm its just your bad technique..LOL. be consistent in your consistency, but let your self relax and release yourself to the magic...
    Hey Paul, I will have a study now, thanks for the link.
    Jaco Goosen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Hey nice work. I’ve always wondered about a home barrel change.
    Makes it look quite achievable and easier than my first full Remmy action bedding with Nathan Fosters resin.
    Yes, @Jit , It is quite achievable with the right gear and some basic mechanical skills. I have done it a few times on Remington 700 actions now. I'm willing to lend the action wrench and headspace gauge sets(I only have 308win and 6.5CM) to local forum members who can meet and pick up. My barrel vice isn't the best, it's made out of alloy and can be a bit soft at times, so I needed to tighten all the bolts to the max to have enough clamp force. And I have to put marks on the barrel and vice to make sure when I blow the hammer at the big steel bar on the wrench it is moving the action without the barrel slipping in the vice.

I fitted a 6XC prefit Criterion barrel at home in the shed last year. Was a Model 7 action. I didnt have any fancy gauges, so headspaced for a sized case.

It's a dream to shoot! Fast barrel too. I will do it again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    I fitted a 6XC prefit Criterion barrel at home in the shed last year. Was a Model 7 action. I didnt have any fancy gauges, so headspaced for a sized case.

It's a dream to shoot! Fast barrel too. I will do it again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Jesus, how's this for some thread necromancy. @Uplandstalker is that an ACIS floor plate on your model 7 and if so where did you get it?
    Cheers
    lee308 likes this.

Hey. I think I got that about 3 years ago. Ordered direct from PT&G in the US.

It worked great with MDT mags too.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Hey. I think I got that about 3 years ago. Ordered direct from PT&G in the US.

It worked great with MDT mags too.

Thanks, I saw them there online, I guess I'll have to import one
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Thanks, I saw them there online, I guess I'll have to import one
    I think I might still have one that is surplus to requirements. I'll try and find it for you

tommygun and caberslash like this.

I think I might still have one that is surplus to requirements. I'll try and find it for you

That'd be great, cheers