Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Remington 700 Action Truing/Blueprinting

Remington 700 Action Truing/Blueprinting

Is there anyone in the South Island who trues/blueprints Remington 700 actions? And is good at it? I don't really want to get it done by someone who "can" do it but isn't known for being good at it. I'd hate for it to get butchered and end up worse than before.

If there isn't anyone down here then I guess who is the best in the North Island? I recall a while back reading something about Dean Maisey being pretty good at it.

Cheers
    CT

Gab zyggliani from high country sport did an excellent job on my Winchester 70. Fully blue brined including rear bushing of the bolt to take up any slope. Nice to deal with, honest pricing and immaculate workshop.
    He is based in fairlie.

Gabe did my Rem 700 back in 2008. Robbie Tiffen at Gunworks knows what he is doing.

Desert guns- contact him and run it past him what ya want done and he's in Cromwell

Robbie/Gunworks would be ideal as I live in Christchurch. Anyone else have good experiences with them truing actions?

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by C.T. View Post
    Robbie/Gunworks would be ideal as I live in Christchurch. Anyone else have good experiences with them truing actions?
    Rang one of the "Gunsmiths" at Gunworks, requesting a professional bedding job be done for my .300 Winchester Magnum, and they told me they can't tackle a job like that, and further led me to believe they're nothing more than over the barrel suppressor experts!

On another occasion I tried to ring Robbie at Gunworks and got Amanda. Asked, can you guys true a Remington 700 Action? And she asked me what that entails... I told her (in my own limited words and understanding) and she said "Ooooh, I don't know... I suppose we could try, but we certainly don't advertise it!" The hair (what little I have left) stood on the back of my head and I decided to just stick with buying stuff over the counter, they're very good for that you know, I've just scored some long awaited bullets oh, and of course, the "Bipod 'O' Death!", so can't complain, can't complain.

I think they're pretty good at fluting and lightening Rem 700 bolts though?
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Desert guns- contact him and run it past him what ya want done and he's in Cromwell
    Desert Guns, who's the Proprietor?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    Rang one of the "Gunsmiths" at Gunworks, requesting a professional bedding job be done for my .300 Winchester Magnum, and they told me they can't tackle a job like that, and further led me to believe they're nothing more than over the barrel suppressor experts!

On another occasion I tried to ring Robbie at Gunworks and got Amanda. Asked, can you guys true a Remington 700 Action? And she asked me what that entails... I told her (in my own limited words and understanding) and she said "Ooooh, I don't know... I suppose we could try, but we certainly don't advertise it!" The hair (what little I have left) stood on the back of my head and I decided to just stick with buying stuff over the counter, they're very good for that you know, I've just scored some long awaited bullets oh, and of course, the "Bipod 'O' Death!", so can't complain, can't complain.

I think they're pretty good at fluting and lightening Rem 700 bolts though?
    That's not what I wanted to hear haha! Might give Gunworks a miss for this job! They did a trigger job for me once which I was happy with but yeah when it comes to truing an action i'd prefer someone with a lot of experience doing it who people highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by C.T. View Post
    That's not what I wanted to hear haha! Might give Gunworks a miss for this job! They did a trigger job for me once which I was happy with but yeah when it comes to truing an action i'd prefer someone with a lot of experience doing it who people highly recommend.
    Hey these guys might be exactly what you're after, but that's just 'my own' personal experience with them!

Good luck, whichever way you choose, and if you do come across someone competent, let me know, I'd be keen myself!

Harvey Westland is the man for the job and based in Christchurch

Did my Remington 700 and it is very accurate

Yes I think that action blue printing is not gun works speciality. When I visited them years ago and ask them about it, they just don't bother and usually juste chamber and fit their barrel on an action with out further worry. I am not sure they even carry a range of reamers with interchangeable pilots, just fix pilots. 90% of their clients might not want that type of work done anyway. I think they are very good for the services they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    Desert Guns, who's the Proprietor?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Harvey Westland is the man for the job and based in Christchurch

Did my Remington 700 and it is very accurate
    Do you have contact details for him? Google didn't turn up anything.

Probably a stupid question but what is the advantage in getting this done, is their a significant increase in accuracy over standard, does the improvement justify the cost. If the things a shitter to start might it not be better to return it or on sell and get something that works. Or is it a case of ive got this money to spend and this sounds like a cool idea that i can brag to my mates about and loose money on when i sell it.

Probably a stupid question but what is the point of this, is the original accuracy unacceptable and this will correct it? Or is it to improve already acceptable accuracy, if so do the results justify the cost. I can see the desire to get the last quarter moa out of a target rig but on a hunting rifle?
    mikee and Carpe Diem like this.