Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Remington 700 trigger recall

Remington 700 trigger recall

I recently got interested in a Remington 700 for sale. (is $1000 for a scoped SPS a good price?)

In the process of trying to convince myself I didnt need it I got to looking at reviews.

In case there's people out there like me unaware there was a trigger recall on 2006 - 2014 models.

This fault caused unintentional discharge without the trigger being touched - when the rifle is changed from safe to fire and more commonly in cold weather.

I realise there is better places on this forum to post this but i am hoping for maximum reach; Im putting it everywhere.

Check your serial number here;
    https://xmprecall.remington.com/

There is a few 60 minutes and similar docos about it. People are convinced this affects not just the xmark triggers but also the walker models with complaints in the thousands, but Remington is taking no responsibility for that.

A cynical person might assume this played a part in the recent Remington sale to Ruger??

@Rifle_Walker : everyone knows about this already. Stop spamming it in every section. 1 thread is enough.

I had to dig online to find it, and was surprised i didnt find much on here.

Yea im done spammin!

I’m sure there are genuine issues with 700s but this kid loaded his and pointed it at his brother to scare him after an argument. He deserves a jail sentence regardless of whether or not the safety or trigger were faulty

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/popular...y-defects/#app
    Rifle_Walker likes this.
    Pack out heavy

Besides, anyone who uses a factory Remington trigger rather than replacing it with a decent aftermarket option deserves what they get

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Besides, anyone who uses a factory Remington trigger rather than replacing it with a decent aftermarket option deserves what they get
    Haha ruthless!

Ive never used one proper but from everything I can find they look like a bit of a dog to me and a dangerous one at that..they just happen to be a super popular dog. Am i missing something?

I think the term mountains out of mole hill springs to mine. None of my Std Rem triggers have had issues (even though they have all been replaced with 2 stage jobs)
    Personally I think it was a US liability thing. If you keep the finger off the trigger until its time not to, and always have the muzzle in a safe direction then.........................

That said a lot of shooters have very poor trigger discipline!!

That was years ago, and is common knowledge I thought.
    I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle - the trigger was not setting when it was cocked because it was so gummed up with old lubricant. Needed to be washed in lighter fluid to clean it up. You dont lubricate a Remington trigger.
    For the Rem bashers in life, I have had the same issue with a Tikka T3 trigger too....
    caberslash and CBH Australia like this.

The trigger on my 90s 416 is a perfectly acceptable.
    Obviously not in the range of the recall but 2 poundish and crisp as buggery

@Rifle_Walker it's old news but relevant.

Not everyone reads Hunting forums and shooters magazines.

If in doubt check it out.

I'm not all over what did or didn't happen but I was aware of the recall.

Remington 700 and Tikka T3/T3x must be some of the most customisable rifles out there. Not because they need it but because they are popular.

My older Rem 700 has a Rifle Basix trigger because I wanted to get a lighter pull, just because they make them.

If it's not hurting anyone else do what you please.

if memory serves me correctly,it was something to do with glue or lube gumming shit up...plent y of advertising about it at the time...both of mine have aftermarket triggers so nothing to worry about there.

Since the Rem 700 came out in the 60's there have been several revisions of the trigger group.

Very first ones were subject to a recall before they even hit shelves as there was concern over patent infringement with Winchester/Olin at the time. Alterations were made and the first commercially available Rem 700 triggers were of a double sear design, had a 'tombstone' style saftey lever and locked the bolt when back in the 'S' position, just like how a Howa 1500 does via a wee plate connected to the saftey lever which travels across a parallel cut in the receiver and locks into a notch on the underside of the bolt.

These triggers (referred to as the Walker trigger, after Merle 'Mike' Walker, RIP) are now highly sought after for people building replica USMC M40 rifles. The design was good enough for the USMC who otherwise overhauled and beefed up the Rem700 SA actions so this speaks volumes (also telling that they kept the original Rem extractors).

Next major revision came sometime in the 1980's I believe, the safety lever which prevented the bolt being opened when in the 'S' position was removed, and the sear changed to a single sear design. Saftey was now rounded instead of the tombstone shape. Not sure what caused this change but I suspect it was cost cutting as later Rem 700 actions would no longer have the cut out mentioned above. However, this cut would be present on the stainless long actions for a while yet until the 'RR' series of Rem700 actions (previous Rem actions carried a prefix which denoted a general era of production, early 60's just had 6 digits, then single letter codes up till the G series for blued actions, all stainless actions carried the S prefix and T for the titanium ones. Later actions which had a QR code would all become 'RR' regardless of metal used).

Finally the X mark series which was the result of said recall... less said about this trigger the better as to design an idiot proof trigger, it means you are selling to idiots... adjustable pull weight? Pull the other one!

To be frank, the Rem 700 deserves it's own book series like the Vickers Guide (1911 and AR15 ones are awesome). To think that a humble hunting rifle became the platform for both the USMC, US Army and various SOF for decades and killed god knows how many game animals, 6 million sold IIRC?

But much like anything American that starts out great (cars, country music and cowboys) it gets ruined by cost/corner cutting, lack of respect for what came before and worst of all, bean counters and lawyers.

CNBC did a hit piece on Rem:

Which Rem responded to:

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Brutal. Not everyone can splash out on $400+ aftermarket triggers.

That's like saying, I hope your 70 series breaks in half if you haven't fitted the custom 2" lift when you're chopping through the Karamea Explorer.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

That's like saying, I hope your 70 series breaks in half if you haven't fitted the custom 2" lift when you're chopping through the Karamea Explorer.
    Truth hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

Should have specified xmark, really. They cannot be adjusted to be a good trigger.
    caberslash likes this.