Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Remington 783

Remington 783

Hi everybody,

Looking at buying a Remington 783 pig gun, just as an entry gun that I can thrash
    fish & hunting has a package deal for $1200.00, scope silencer.

Would anybody happen to have some feed back? are they any good?

Thanks

http://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item/...stock--1-left- if you can extend your budget slightly, they will also shorten your rifle, I assume the 783 is factory threaded. The 783 isnt worthy of the remington name from the reading I did before purchasing my first rifle.

interesting, thanks for your advice I will look into that.

+1 for the Howa. Easily the best sub-$1000 action in my opinion.

You could get the Ranchland - they come threaded and 20" factory barrel.

Only $900 from Reloaders for a 7mm08 - Howa 1500 Lightweight Compact 7mm08 - 7mm-08 Remington - Centerfire Rifles - Firearms - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

Add $300 for a DPT muzzle forward can - Centerfire duralium muzzle forward modular 223wssm, 30/06 - DPT Machinists - or $350 for an overbarrel if you're that way inclined - Centerfire duralium over barrel modular 223wssm, 30/06 - DPT Machinists

The 783 is rubbish, as is the 770. They were made as super budget rifles to be sold in places like walmart but are going for real rifle money over here. The couple I tried, the action was so rough it felt like it was full of sand. +1 for Howa. Or to mercilessly plug my own sale, I have a Weatherby (same as Howa) 308 w scope and suppressor - http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...305-m14-19753/

I had a few in my hands. They are a heavier and more rigid action than the howa. The barrels are reasonably straight the trigger is ok but after trigger are made for it now. The stock is ok but can be replaced by a boyd later on I believe .
    I would definitely not call it rubbish. Just agricultural. Regarding the 770 that is another story.

Both the 770 and 783 shoot well enough for a hunting rifle, the failure is in the other parts, the actions are rough making follow up shots slow, and with the 770 the bottom bolt lug drags and catches on rounds in the magazine. For a new budget rifle the marlin x7 seems a better bet imo

+1.
    And you know what, they share the same trigger with the Remington 783 ;-)

northdude
    the ruger is sposed to be a good entry level one as well or go second hand

The 783 is based on the 788 but minor changes to the design such as going from the 9 rear locking lugs to front locking lugs and adding marlin and savage styles bits to it such as barrel nut and the XS7 type trigger system to it , the biggest mistake remington ever made was to drop the 788 from its line as that was remingtons budget rifle and remingtons biggest embarrassment as the 788 shot way better than their higher end 700 line.I do not know what the 783's are like but I ever get a chance to buy another 788 I would grab one in a heartbeat, my last one and my very first remington which was in 243 got blown up by a certain custom ammo makers reloads that came with that rifle prior to that incident it was shooting factory ammo in nice clover leaf groups at 100 meters
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

northdude
    Hell yeah I've got a 788 222 accurate as hell its a keeper

Hey guys the 783 has no relationship with the 788 (great guns still today) except they both bear the Remington name and they were/are budget offerings. The Remington that existed in the time of the 788 has long gone and the Remington company now is a different animal. So yeah same name I guess. The 783 has more to do with the Marlin XL7. Marlin company, great shame, got gobbled up by the Remington parent and the 783 and the XL7 are now made under the same roof and possible on the same production line. And the 783 is not an upgraded 770 - a hideous mistake.

The 788's are in a league of their own . No competition. They still outclass a lot of others with ease
    northdude likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

I worked on one 2 days ago, the "upper" part , barrel, recoil lug, action and bolt is all beefed up and reasonably well made , maybe not nicely finished. The trigger is ok but the mag, mag follower and bottom plate are just cheap stamp metal.

Go buy a city boy Tikka then. They seem to be better suited for more and more people at this pub.
    Ya can't park there mate.