Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Huk
  • 3 Post By GDMP
  • 3 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By Mauser308

Thread: Remington bolt stop/release

Remington bolt stop/release

Man it's a terrible design. Have had trouble with them sticking open in the past resulting in a bolt to the face, now I can't get the bolt OUT of my model seven. Might have to get it modified for a side bolt release. Surely I'm not the only one who has had this experience

They are just a fairly shitty stamping, and often have burrs. Try polishing both sides flat with wet and dry on a piece of glass - of course missing the tab at the bottom.

You are not alone, it is a poor design. Most competent gunsmiths can do a modified release that is "bullet proof".

Huk
    Must be the newer m7s have never had problems with mine mind you it was made some 35 years ago maybe thats why
    Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

Sticking bolt releases in the Remington are usually caused by the barrel being removed at some point,and when the barrel is torqued back into the receiver the recoil lug is not correctly indexed....it must be Precisely at 6 oclock or the lever will rub and bind on the side of the trigger guard.We use a special gadget to get it lined up perfectly there is no margin for error is must be dead on or you will have this problem for sure.
    7mmsaum, Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

It was never going to move; one of the trigger pins had walked out and was blocking the bolt release. Will loctite the trigger pins once I get my new trigger

That will also do it the end of the front trigger assembly pin binding against the release lever.

Was just going to say the trigger hanger pin. It's actually not that bad a design as far as designs go - light, unobtrusive and relatively reliable. Have had major issues with Mauser and a couple of other designs for example, but in that case it's either the stop rusting shut, the spring failing or the material wearing out.

I will agree that remington's build quality of the parts lacks a little in the finishing department, but I guess that the stock covers a lot of those ills...
    caberslash likes this.

I’ve found that when fitting a new trigger, it takes quite a bit of ‘tweaking’ to get the bolt release button and lever (on the trigger) to work well with the bolt release to prevent binding.
    Sometimes it’s just a very small change of angle on the trigger part of the mechanism, that makes the difference between working flawlessly and binding open.

Only problem I have found is with aftermarket stocks. Sometimes need to relieve a little bit of glass to take pressure off the sliding bit aka Hiteck stocks.