Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Spitfire

Thread: Remington extraction issues?

Remington extraction issues?

Want to ask some general questions and advice about extraction issues with REM actions and don’t want to confuse these questions with another thread that’s running. However info stated in that thread did raise same questions in my mind.
    I have had a quite few Remington’s over the years, mostly 700’s both magnums and non mag, and also a Model 7 SAUM.
    Majority have shown no issues with extraction ever. Two have, one a 7mm REM mag Sendero and the other 7mm SAUM. The issue on REM mag was diagnosed and fixed as part of rebarrelling to 7mmBM, and fix involved removing and refixing the bolt handle to get the correct cam. My words might not be exactly right but you get the picture and the fix worked.
    SAUM recently re-barreled and as part of that job has sometimes shown inclination to not extract rounds. The smith who fitted new barrel made me aware of this. New chamber very tight ? Does not seem to be a primary extraction failure but does not want to spit the empty case out. I see some comments about SAUM case design and clean vs dirty brass. Is this enough to cause issues ? What’s the go ? What would make SAUM more susceptible to issues?
    I am pretty fussy when it comes to brass prep, clean etc. so not a clean vs dirty brass effect but what I have observed is that brass that is neck sized only is more likely to give extraction issues than FL sized. Even after only 1 or 2 firings.

I hope sharing these observations and questions might help shed some light on REM extraction issues for every one. Any of you bright sparks can shed any light on how to avoid or minimise extraction problems?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I have not had a problem with a Rem, but from memory I think that it is common to swap out the ejector for a Sako one as a fix

GWH
    Interesting, send me your cell number on pm.

We have an issue with a mates newly rebarreled 7mmSaum too, be good to have a chat and compare notes.
    chainsaw likes this.

They work just fine in short .222/.308 length and 06/belted magazine length. Occasionally you do have to replace the extractor. Very rare and A cheap as part. Old series bolts have it held in by a rivet, new ones have no rivet. No experience on RSAUMs or WSMs. They rest are pretty dam fool proof.

The Rem 700 doesn't have a high surface area cam like some actions
    The Suam case has a much larger surface area & less taper than say a 308.
    Wsm wildcats like the saums are bad for this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    The Rem 700 doesn't have a high surface area cam like some actions
    The Suam case has a much larger surface area & less taper than say a 308.
    Wsm wildcats like the saums are bad for this.
    The Saum is the cartridge most rifles are modified to so it gets the blame, it probably has 15 thou of taper which is adequate

Here’s the kicker........

EVERY time a rem action gets “ trued” or tidied up and either bolt locking lugs and/ or action buttresses get a skim then your losing Primary Extraction

I have measured a lot of rem actions and it’s very common to see stock/modified rifles with PE measurements of 20-50 thou when they should be up around 150 thou (40 thou is 1 mm )

So a bolt handle retime is necessary.

The Bolt retime involves The bolts handle being moved forward on the bolt body and silver soldered (Silvalloy 355) again

Secondary extraction is you the owner hauling the bolt backwards.

Primary extraction is extremely important and often overlooked

Google remington bolt timing and primary extraction, -there’s hours of reading material available

The Long and short rem mags are extremely useful for NZ conditions with 150-162g projectiles

Name:  C7EE83CD-8EDC-47BC-9EEA-DB9C74128D2B.jpeg
Views: 287
Size:  545.3 KB
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 11-07-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    GWH, chainsaw and Moa Hunter like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Some info here from my riflesmith when I lived in the US:

https://www.longriflesinc.com/produc...rvice-for-m700
    Moa Hunter likes this.