Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Remington in a Spot of Bother

To be honest it's not the first time they've been in the hole financially. Ruger, Smith and Wesson and several other companies have seen a slump in sales, just happens that Remington sales at times are as much as several other manufacturers. I will totally agree with some of the comments, Remingtons offerings have been less than imaginative over the past twenty years.

Maybe the yanks need to learn to make a good quality rifle not one that need you need to throw half of it away and add aftermarket upgrades.
    The Rem 700 now seems to be the 10/22 of the centrefire world.

well just shot my rem 700 long range in 7mm wont extract without a bit of force. groups well but what the point if you cant reload in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    well just shot my rem 700 long range in 7mm wont extract without a bit of force. groups well but what the point if you cant reload in a hurry
    Is it Remington’s fault or do you have it loaded to hot?

Not the first I think, and not the last, 1 year into Trump's first term and they are going toes up already. It seems the gun and ammo manufacturers can only make a profit if there is excess "panic" demand created by fear that a Democratic Govn will take away their toys. Once a Republican is elected sales collapse. Might be good for us in getting cheaper guns though I'd never buy a Remington for me they sum up the worst of American mass manufacturing.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Remington's problem is not that Americans are buying less guns, but that Americans (and people elsewhere) are buying less Remington guns. Like others have pointed out, Remington has very few exciting products. I would go further. I would say Remington has very few great products.

I have been a shooter for about 10 years, I have at different points of time contemplated buying of many different guns, and I have bought a number of them. Not a single time was I interested in a Remington product. In contrast, Savage, Ruger (only 10/22 line), CZ, Tikka, and other mid-range makers often have guns/products that make me want to get. In fact I seem to read more bad-experience stories/reviews with Remington than most other brands.

One can say scope makers' success should be a good indicator of general health of firearm market. As far as I can see in the last 10 years most good scope makers are thriving - Vortex, Zeiss, Nightforce, March, Bushnell, Leupold etc. I cannot think of one mid-high end scope maker that got into financial trouble and was bought out by another brand. So if Remington is doing badly, it must be a Remington problem.

In the grand scheme of things, if Remington goes it may not necessarily be a bad thing. it teaches everyone else not to be complacent. Kodak died and photography are now better than ever.
    veitnamcam likes this.

R93
    I will always have a soft spot for Remington.

I grew up with them from 22s to centerfire.
    The 700 action has to be the best of its time until the after market copys/clones improved on them.
    I still have a Remmy shotgun that has had shit tons of ammo thru it and hasn't let me down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Out of all the firearms I've owned I genuinely think the Rem Model 7 is the quintessential bolt action hunting rifle, I'm surprised they aren't more popular.
    muzr257, C.T., tommygun and 1 others like this.

I have had a Remington 700 fire when putting the safety off,from my experience it would make you have a rethink if looking at a purchasing another.
    Maybe the bad press over the 700 trigger is affecting sales.

Banned
    From what I have read the quality control issues with the new management and the new factory have effected sales quite a bit. A whisper about poor quality will affect the sales of people who have never even handled one, people are wary of the bad word.
    The public view of the shake up there, the buying of Marlin and H&R, and laying off of experienced staff will have hurt them. It appears it was an attempt to make more money by making the rifles cheaper to manufacture, which is the opposite of adding value.

I know that I might have bought a Remington 700 at one stage, and I might have bought a Marlin, but the bad word on quality caused me to deliberately decide a couple of years ago that if I did decide to get one I would have to hunt down a second hand older one, and if I am thinking that perhaps a lot of people who would otherwise have bought a new Remington might think the same. They don't get a cent out of that.
    Steve123 likes this.

Im not a gun nut or aficionado by any standards.
    Also I have never owned a Remington.
    I have handled and shot a fair few Remington's over the years and never once has a stock standard one impressed me.
    Yep plenty of cheap hop up parts are available just like rugers 10/22
    I probably never will own a Remington but I "may" just maybe own a Remington clone action.

Take from that what you will.
    steven likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Im not a gun nut or aficionado by any standards.
    Also I have never owned a Remington.
    I have handled and shot a fair few Remington's over the years and never once has a stock standard one impressed me.
    Yep plenty of cheap hop up parts are available just like rugers 10/22
    I probably never will own a Remington but I "may" just maybe own a Remington clone action.

Take from that what you will.
    Well that is what a Barnard S is for one.....
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I think the competition is getting stiffer and people are buying more Tikkas No one wants to purchase a rifle and then replace it's trigger straight away.

I have to agree, no one wants a Remington, I struggle to get people to hold one, but I have the same problem with Tikkas, give someone a X Bolt to hold after a Tikka, and there's no competition, biggest sellers up here are Howa, solely on price, followed by browning x bolt.

The Remington 700 should be a flag ship gun. It just isn't. The fit and finish is shit tier. The triggers are awful. Most of them come with a trash plastic stock, with a non free float barrel. And they cost in the same ball park as a Bergara B14, which is basically the same gun with none of the mentioned deficiancies.

The pistols they have tried to launch recently were total abortions.

The investment group that own them, gutted and destroyed the reputation of Marlin and Advanced Armament.

They own two has-been AR manufacturers, DPMS and Bushmaster, trying to peddle average at best rifles under a GOP govt.

They could of dominated the short action precision rifle market with the .260, but they sat on their hands and let Hornady take that crown.

Is the versamax the only thing they have done well for the past decade or so??

It would be sad but almost merciful to see Remington dissapear at this stage.

Remington were the go to standard for an accurate rifle back in the 90's. There are probably more aftermarket parts for Remingtons for a reason. They had a lot of innovative models; Sendero, Alaskan Wilderness Rifle; Mountain Rifle; Titanium; Model 7 to name a few.
    They were the benchmark for accuracy, like a T3 is now.
    Pity they tried to race the others to the cheapest rifle.
    jakewire likes this.