Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Replacement SKS stock

Replacement SKS stock

My original SKS stock is in poor condition, with a crack near the magazine cover. Also, the length of pull feels far too short for my 6ft 7 frame. I'm looking for a replacement (synthetic) stock.

The Tapco Intrafuse stock and MOST ATI stocks is out because they would make my SKS E-cat, and I'm not. That basically leaves the ATI Fiberforce Dragunov Stock, the ATI Monte Carlo Stock, or equivalent made by various others like Choate or Ram-line.

I'm leaning more towards a Monte Carlo stock, but why do some retailers (stateside) list the ATI dragunov style replacement stock an ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) regulated item, not to be exported from the USA, when it is commercially available in NZ at 2.5x the price?

Any SKS users feel like chiming in with their own experiences regarding aftermarket stocks?

Have used one with the ati montecarlo , it adds round 1 1/2-2 inches to the butt, which made it just right for me, and the hand grip is really nice almost pistol grip length and angle. My only criticism is that it adds a bit more weight to what is already a fatty than a wooden stock does. If your adding optics the cheek piece raises your eye to the correct height, but I found using the iron sights it booted my cheek a bit too much.

I just chucked one of these on AK / SKS / Mosin Nagant Rubber Recoil Butt Pad | Trade Me gave me the right LOP....
    Fitted with factory screws sweet, and painted stock black to match.
    Can't see the point in adding 1/3 of the value of the gun in a stock - but I'm bit of a miser.
    stretch and Steve123 like this.

Buy your stock from the ATI guy in New Zealand - Stocks : Quartermaster Supplies

He's a top bloke

This is his SKS stock - Search Results : Quartermaster Supplies

Have a look at this stretch.
    SKS factory wooden stock | Trade Me

Then add one of these.
    AK / SKS / Mosin Nagant Rubber Recoil Butt Pad | Trade Me

Else as Peril has said Quartermaster Supplies is your best bet.

I have an SKS with a RamLine stock on it, it fits me better than the ATI as I found the pistol grip was too large and uncomfortable. The Ram Line is a lot slimmer and easier to get comfortable with...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    I have an SKS with a RamLine stock on it, it fits me better than the ATI as I found the pistol grip was too large and uncomfortable. The Ram Line is a lot slimmer and easier to get comfortable with...
    Did you get to test drive both options before you bought? Or was it trial and error?

I bought an ATI for a std SKS i had a few years back, although it was good in terms of the longer length, I found it heavy and as I said in particular the pg area was very chunky, I have big builders hands but still found it a bit awkward. I bought another a year or so back and it came with the Ramline stock...Worth at least having a look at that swtock although Im not sure who stocks them?

If I get a Tapco Fusion stock out of the US does getting a suitable bar fabricated that goes from the bottom of the pistol grip to the buttstock similar to the AR15 A Cat stocks make it A Cat.

ATI stocks are good but the choate stock is far more comfortable and has less flex

https://www.guncity.com/sks-skk-choa...economy-330691

i have one on the wifes sks. nice fit and comfortable to use

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    ATI stocks are good but the choate stock is far more comfortable and has less flex

https://www.guncity.com/sks-skk-choa...economy-330691

i have one on the wifes sks. nice fit and comfortable to use
    I have one on my sks. Not as elegant looking as the ATI Monte Carlo, but comfortable and practical.

The stock to go for is really the Choate they are just a better quality stock . I have the draganov style , two in fact , and they work well from any shooting position . the only draw back of the draganov is the need to carry it differently to a monte carlo , I use an over the shoulder pointing down , I've tried across the chest but didn't like it , because it gives me better control of the rifle .

Hey @stretch, iv got a really nice custom made thumbhole stock on mine, and Im pretty sure there is another available if you are keen? you can have a go with mine if you want to try?
    Use enough gun

Would post a photo but the gun safe is a noisy thing and will wake up the kid.
    Use enough gun