Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 3 Post By Koshogi

Thread: Returning from USA with Ar15 Mag's/ other bits

Returning from USA with Ar15 Mag's/ other bits

Hi , so heading to usa and canada for xmas period. Wanting to get a few bits and peaces for my work and personal rifles. has any one had experience bringing a few bits and bobs back? i'm not talking a suitcase full of stuff just few magpul accessories and would love to bring a PMAGŪ D-60 mag back but.......

res
    Well, some thing are on itar "no export" lists. Some things you can just keep the total amount under us$100.
    Don't forget NZ import permits.

It can be worth buying stuff and posting it from there to yourself as something can be shipped but sellers won't etc
    Using Tapatalk

yeah at face value it seems a bit confusing sometimes, so in general if total items are under $100 USD I should be okay , just wondering if the hi-cap mag would be a hassle. Might give the arms office a call on monday.

I have been told by my guy in the States that the $100 USD limit for fire arms parts is BS, propagated buy sellers etc, it just depends whether or not people are prepare to "risk it"

"That $100 thing is not even a real thing. That is totally made-up information that people have just spread around. Including some suppliers. Department of State requires a permit for everything. One single piece of brass one bullet one scope ring one anything. I think their exact wording at the end of all the categories they list that you need a permit for it says "and anything else that we didn't mention above".

Be aware any E-Cat stuff needs import permits.

P38
    Just be careful and Remember Each State may have different laws.

For example last time I was in Las Vegas the Bass Pro store had hi capacity AR15 mags on special at $10each.

I was tempted to get a few until the sales person enquired where I will be travelling next.

I said LA , he said taking these mags into California could get you arrested due to the capacity of the mags exceeding the limit for California's laws.

He also would not sell me a scope I was keen on because it was on the ITAR list.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

cheers guys , yeah Pete ill be going Vegas and LA also so that's very helpful info. Yeah Greg i've had multiple orders recently from Brownells that are in the $120-140 usd margin and have had no issues with import or export stuff. I was wondering about the magical $100 usd thing , but would be a hassle to get pinged as well.

[QUOTE=Timberwolf;521712]cheers guys , yeah Pete ill be going Vegas and LA also so that's very helpful info. Yeah Greg i've had multiple orders recently from Brownells that are in the $120

Yeah, I guess its like traveling at 115KPH on the open road, sooner or later its going to bite you if you are in the wrong place at the right time, no matter where you are

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I have been told by my guy in the States that the $100 USD limit for fire arms parts is BS, propagated buy sellers etc, it just depends whether or not people are prepare to "risk it"

"That $100 thing is not even a real thing. That is totally made-up information that people have just spread around. Including some suppliers. Department of State requires a permit for everything. One single piece of brass one bullet one scope ring one anything. I think their exact wording at the end of all the categories they list that you need a permit for it says "and anything else that we didn't mention above".

Be aware any E-Cat stuff needs import permits.
    It is not BS. It is US law.

§ 123.17 Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.
    (a) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of:

(1) Parts and components for USML Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any transaction, except to any of the countries or entities as provided in § 126.1 of this subchapter;

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/123.17
    AzumitH, Ryan and Timberwolf like this.