Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 2 Post By 300_BLK
  • 2 Post By wayno
  • 2 Post By dirkvanvuuren

Thread: Rifle actions for precision rifle build

Rifle actions for precision rifle build

Hey guys, need some advice please.

I have narrowed my choice of rifle action down to the following three which are:

Tikka T3x
    Barnard SM
    Stiller TAC 30.

The most cost effective would be the Tikka, followed by the Barnard then the Stiller. I really like the Stiller action and the Tikka and I know the Barnard is very accurate however is the Tikka T3x any less accurate than the Stiller or Barnard?

Rifle to be use primarily for long range target, with the odd bit of long range Rabbit / Magpie busting. So its important that the choice of action is so that if I ever wanted to get competitive then I'm not being handicapped.

Are there many T3x's being used at the upper levels of competition in F Class Open out of curiosity?

Thanking you in advance for your knowledge and advice.

The Stiller and Barnard use Rem 700 triggers = greater range of more sophisticated options down the track. I doubt that any of the actions you list will have a mechanical accuracy advantage if they are set up correctly. Cheers
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    The Stiller and Barnard use Rem 700 triggers = greater range of more sophisticated options down the track. I doubt that any of the actions you list will have a mechanical accuracy advantage if they are set up correctly. Cheers
    Was just gonna say, an action alone won't really dictate accuracy or lack there of.
    Surely the whole package Barrel, stock/chassis, bedding, trigger and load developement will have far more bearing on accuracy.
    Dunno much about competition shooting f class etc but I'm sure others will chime in reference tikka suitability or any pros and cons.
    #DANNYCENT

Most custom actions are pretty much on par with each other, some just offer features/improvements that may or may not be useful for what you want.

Of money were tight it'd hard not to recommend a Tikka build, the actions are popular for a semi custom build and the base action and trigger gives you everything you would realistically need.

Just buy a rifle, get a custom barrel and through it in a different stock or chassis and you'll have a competitive rifle.
    Even a fully stock standard CTR or Tac A1 is more than good enough to be competitive in any event you were to do.

Try them and decide which one you like the best feel.

The tikka will be accurate, cheap and light but will limit you on caliber choice.

Barnard will be heavier than the other two but accurate. I’m not sure if they are as ‘ruggedised’ as the other two, ie as a target action they don’t cope well with debris and water.

The driller is a fluffed up rem700. My advice is if you are willing to spend that much on a stiller save a few hundred more and get a lone peak razor or defiance tenacity.

At the end of the day a tikka will do everything but if you want something nice....
    muzr257 and matagouri like this.
    Warm Barrels!

Accuracy wise the action has little if any input.

Actually, all modern rifles have good enough actions. High-end single shot actions still make a slight difference in accuracy but that difference will not be noticeable before you have a very good barrel.
    Shooters often put a custom barrel on a factory action to get good results. However, the contrary is not true....no one puts a factory barrel on a custom action. I have never seen a Ruger factory barrel on a Barnard or Stiller action, for example.

So either of the 3 actions would be fine...get the cheapest and spend most of the money on a custom ultra match barrel...as the barrel is the major determinate in rifle accuracy.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Dont forget the good old rem 700 they can be trued up fitted with all sorts of options not to mention stocks ect and be as good as any other .
    Ryan_Songhurst and jono7 like this.

I have a 6mm Creedmoor with Barnard SMS action. Have a Tikka as well. Tikkas are a great option but the barnard just puts a smile on my face every time I run it.
    It's a tank and for what it's worth the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.
    Bill999 and duckdog like this.