Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: rifle set ups

rifle set ups

kia ora recently i have been hearing and seeing bush pig rifles and super pig rifles on the internet and online and was wondering what the difference was between the 2 like is there certain calibres or barrel lengths. if someone could clear that up for me that would be great.

GWH
    Bush pigs are normally standard cartridges like 7mm08 and 308, with barrels cut down much shorter than normal suppressed rifles. Often 17" and under

Super pigs are the same thing but with larger cartridges like 284 win, wsm, Saum and even shorter Rem mags
    Longrun likes this.

I’d say bush pigs is 16-18” and less standard bolt face cartridges .308 .284 etc and super pig would be 18-20” magnums . That’s my take on it anyhow
    Longrun likes this.

Bushpigs usually around 16 inch barrel in 243, 260, 7mm08 or 308. Short and handy for bush hunting 0-300 yards.

Super pigs usually around 18 inch barrel in 284, 270wsm, 300wsm etc. Still fairly short and handy but able to take those longer shots 0-600 yards.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Bush pigs are normally standard cartridges like 7mm08 and 308, with barrels cut down much shorter than normal suppressed rifles. Often 17" and under

Super pigs are the same thing but with larger cartridges like 284 win, wsm, Saum and even shorter Rem mags
    Ie. I have a Rem Model 7 with a 15" 708 barrel (with dpt suppressor). Running 140gr nbts, its good for out to 400 yards max. I class that as a bush pig.

I also have a Tikka with a 17" 284win barrel (also dpt suppressor). I normally run 162gr Amax in that which carries enough energy and velocity to be usable on deer out to 700 yards. Id class that as a Super bush pig.
    lau lau and keengunNic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Ie. I have a Rem Model 7 with a 15" 708 barrel (with dpt suppressor). Running 140gr nbts, its good for out to 400 yards max. I class that as a bush pig.

I also have a Tikka with a 17" 284win barrel (also dpt suppressor). I normally run 162gr Amax in that which carries enough energy and velocity to be usable on deer out to 700 yards. Id class that as a Super bush pig.

does the length of the barrel dictate mainly how far you can shoot.

Think of barrel lengths a bit like tyre widths. It's a bit pointless using narrow tyres on a decent V8.
    7mmsaum, GWH, ONYVA and 2 others like this.

Bushpig = Short handy rifle for dedicated short range shooting in places like the bush. 308, 708 etc.

Superpig = Short handy rifle but not always quite as short as a bushpig. Still capable of making long shots when needed. 284, 7mm SAUM, 7mm WSM, 7mm RM, 300 WSM etc.
    caberslash and CBH Australia like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewhall2912 View Post
    It's not really length of barrel as such that matters, but for the same ammo a shorter barrel gives you less velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewhall2912 View Post
    a longer barrel helps the bullet shoot flatter depending on the caliber, its up to the shooter to choose how far you can/want to shoot.

i have a 300 win mag with a 16 inch barrel. very uncommon for a magnum to have a barrel like that but shoots 178gr bullets at 2900fps and i will happily shoot out to 600+ yards with it when needed.
    Bagheera likes this.

My 18" barreled 7mm saum, ultra light build, shoots out to 750 nicely!! =superPig

There are three things to understand about a bush pig:

Compared to a standard 22" model it will make a lot more noise and kick a bit more, so you will use a suppressor that may not have been so neccessary with the classic setup.

Compared to a standard 22" model it will have less velocity (flat shooting) and less kinetic energy (killing power). To try and compensate for this a lot of shooters spend considerable time and money looking for a load to recover some of the velocity. The same load in a 22" barrel will be a super performer. Roughly each inch of barrel gives 50 fps.

If you are trying to increase velocity and power, half an inch extra in the cartridge, bolt and action will give more that a couple of inches on the barrell. Hence a 16" 3006 should outperform an 18" 308. If you don't need the power then a pig is for you; double down and go for a 7.62x39 .
    caberslash likes this.

The bush pigs still haven't shot as many deer as the cullers did with their 27" or what ever smle's. They seemed to manage in the tight stuff. How did they do that??

Its a trendy fad like not wearing a belt and having your jeans and undies around your arse.

Seriously though, 90% of the so called bush pigs probably never get into the trees properly - mainly shooting in the open and slips. Those that do go into the trees with success could probably use any length rifle.
    I do have a 18" 7-08 but cant think why I would need anything shorter.
    GSP HUNTER, tikka, lau lau and 5 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The bush pigs still haven't shot as many deer as the cullers did with their 27" or what ever smle's. They seemed to manage in the tight stuff. How did they do that??

Its a trendy fad like not wearing a belt and having your jeans and undies around your arse.

Seriously though, 90% of the so called bush pigs probably never get into the trees properly - mainly shooting in the open and slips. Those that do go into the trees with success could probably use any length rifle.
    I do have a 18" 7-08 but cant think why I would need anything shorter.
    Slightly over stated I think @Tahr. They certainly managed ok but it was also all they had to use in that era and they didn’t have a big can hanging off the end. Quality suppressors requiring shorter barrels to re balance the ergonomics just weren’t a thing back then. It’s probably not very fair to compare the modern bush hunter with daily commitments to the talley of a professional culler.
    Barnes130 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Slightly over stated I think @Tahr. They certainly managed ok but it was also all they had to use in that era and they didn’t have a big can hanging off the end. Quality suppressors requiring shorter barrels to re balance the ergonomics just weren’t a thing back then. It’s probably not very fair to compare the modern bush hunter with daily commitments to the talley of a professional culler.
    Overstated? Me?
    I was taking the piss, until the "seriously though" bit.

I wear a belt and braces.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi