Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryan
  • 2 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By scottrods
  • 1 Post By Bagheera

Thread: rifle slings

rifle slings

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rifle sling or any to stay clear of?

Cheers

Copied & pasted from a previous thread about slings:

"I have a few different types, but my favorite hands down is the Quake Claw Rifle Sling:
    Quake Claw Rifle Sling System : Cabela's
    Purchased one when I was living in Canada and would to get another one, but can't seem to get them in NZ. Well made, grips on the shoulder really well, comfortable carrying a heavy load, fast and easy to adjust, doesn't hold water and freeze your hands like the neoprene ones do and can I still wrap my arm around it for an offhand shot if necessary."

Link to thread: http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f15/slings-18480/
    Hyslop likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Doesn't contribut much to shooting animals-so I use a piece of trailer tie down tape . strong and soaks up little water.
    10-Ring and 223nut like this.

I had an avery neoprene but found the swivels rusted over time.
    Currently using a bush buck cheapie but thinking about a niggeloh.

Clearly bagheera never used a wrapped sling to have a very steady shooting position. A proper fitting sling will enable a very steady standing shot.
    I shoot rabbits standing all the time day and night out to 100m is possible with a well fitted sling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtaLUbTwZM
    Bryan likes this.

Thanks Scott you're quite right. I'll give it a try standing at indoor.
    I've used a single point a lot for prone smallbore so am sceptical about 2 point and using a carry sling for shooting.
    Tried using a tanner sling on my hunting rifle for the Taupo champs but actually shot better in the big balls without one at all.
    However, some guys that regularly out score me use the sling standing so I'll look at it again.
    scottrods likes this.

I make them up using 25mm webbing and silent stalker sling fittings. I put non slip hockey stick handle tape on the webbing so it stays on the shoulder. You can make them adjustable it you want to use them as a two point set up.

You looking for just a carry sling, or a shooting sling also?
    I've found for a carry sling that the padded ones don't work as well as I'd hoped, and the pad never seems to be in the right place.
    Just having a plain webbing sling that is 1" 1/4 or 1" 1/2 worked better for me.

As far as shooting slings go, there is quite a range on Practical/Tactical slings on the market, all claiming to be the best at different things.
    I really like the these tactical 2 point slings, can obviously just be used as a carry sling but as a shooting aid are fantastic. The quick length adjustability is a must have for any sling I reckon. Only problem is these slings are often pretty expensive.
    I ended up making my own for very little money, worked really well, until I broke it.

I got some reasonabe leather ones from Brooks brothers in Blenheim. (saddlers) Were pretty well priced and I like leather.

I have all sorts of leather slings but the only one I will actually take hunting is a butler creek comfort v - grip, really light, adjustable and grips incredibly well so no sliding down the shoulder. I see they are 80 bucks at h&g, pg 122 of the latest catalogue.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Usually use a leather sling about an inch wide as they seem to sit on shoulder alright. Over time though the leather becomes smooth and they slip a bit.
    I just got a Butler Creek Neoprene one that has about a 2 inch wide shoulder pad , it hangs on good.( only about $40 )