Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Rifle Weight , What Do You Like ?

Rifle Weight , What Do You Like ?

I’m interested in what others think is their preferred rifle weight .
    I’m talking walk around Bush/Tops centerfire 6.5mm and bigger caliber rifles .
    As I’ve got older my rifles have lost weight, but is there a lower limit of practical performance/recoil/balance / handling?
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

7-7.5lb

My Sako a7 is 3.1kg or 7lb with the a vx3 4.5-14×40 scope and muzzle brake it's pretty nice to shoot and carry
    Ground Control likes this.

I have found the lighter you go the more you have to pay attention when you are actually doing the "shooting bit". My mates Kimber 30/06 Sub Alpine is very very light and there is no way you can shoot it accurately with out paying attention, none of that fancy shmancy not holding on to the forend that everyone seems to promote. My Saum is not as light but same applies when shooting it.

I used to think light as possible but now I have kinda changed, only my actual hunting rifle now is light all the others are heavier and easier to shoot accurately

Suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
    Definitely caliber dependent. 7 lbs for real accuracy with the 18" Grendel. At least 7.5 lbs for anything bigger.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
    - (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    My Sako a7 is 3.1kg or 7lb with the a vx3 4.5-14×40 scope and muzzle brake it's pretty nice to shoot and carry
    Should add, no problem shooting it super accurately off my pack #600mGun #270gang
    SGR likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    My favorite hunting rifle is an M12 in .308 - with scope,sling and full mag, it's 8.3 lb - when I wasn't looking, I turned into an old fart, but I still carry medium to heavy rifles over big distances and difficult country without fuss. Tried the whole superlight carry on but just couldn't jell with it. When you have to make a quick shot, especially on a moving target, or when you have bashed your way over a saddle or ridge, breathing shot, with no time to set up, a medium+ weight rifle is by far better.

If the young fellas have to go all ultralight now, what are they gonna do when they get on a bit?

If you have to muzzle brake it, or suppress it to shoot it, your rifle is too light for you.
    mikee, john m, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Have any of you tried the SSRNZ singles? 2.3kg with a scope and the one I tried was very pleasant to shoot. (7.62x39). By all accounts he made them on 308 as well..I know someone with one and they are a dream to carry....

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    If you have to muzzle brake it, or suppress it to shoot it, your rifle is too light for you.
    Can't say I agree with that sentiment, I think that's down to personal preference, that being said I would happily shoot my rifle unbraked, I'm not a fan of suppressors but that's my preference.

Having my magnum braked means my 12 year old can shoot it too, it also is much nicer for a lightweight rifle so why not.
    As I've said, no hate just different opinions
    chainsaw likes this.

Good brake and you can go pretty light and it's not gonna be un-manageable anyhow. My wsm weighs 3.2kg ready to roll with a VX5 on it and it's real easy to shoot. Take the brake off and it's a different story though!
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Totally agree, also if you have to use a scope then the animal is too far away for you #banscopesandmuzzlebrakes
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Aye?

My rifle is pretty comfortable at 7.7lbs. Its a Howa .308 with a barrel docked to 19", a Stug stock and a gen 4 hardy.

It will lose a little more when I get a MkII DPT (I'll run it with a baffle off too) and take another inch or two of the barrel. Also I intend to put on Tally lightweight rings. All of these proposed changes are not because I want weight savings, but rather I like the gear, and I like short barrels. Few less grams will be nice but it would not worth the $$ for weight reduction alone.
    Ground Control and dannyb like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I've got a 20" 260 just shy of 3.8kg (need to re weigh). My preference is between 3.4-3.8kg. It's all about personal preference. To me, balance and manoureability are key for a hunting rifle, however, this is all dependant on the goals you set out with your rifle (such as location, distance, game, weight, calibre etc) be specific. I always aim for, not the worst case but the what if (within reason). My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Also I intend to put on Tally lightweight rings. All of these proposed changes are not because I want weight savings, but rather I like the gear, and I like short barrels. Few less grams will be nice but it would not worth the $$ for weight reduction alone.
    Agree. money to weight ratio. its not worth it. Ive bought some expensive stuff just to save a few grams ..... literally a few grams, but, hey its a hobby. hahahaha.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk