Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Rifles that don't age well

Rifles that don't age well

With the same amount of care, are there particular brands and models that tend to wear quicker than others?

Is there such a thing?

From what I have heard on the forum:
    - Howa's stainless barreled actions is more prone to rust
    - Browning Xbolt's stock coating tends to peel off and become sticky fast

There could be more. Keen to hear your experiences.

I don’t no what the deal is with the stainless thing it’s like it’s batch to batch, iv had a brand new tikka with spot rust out of the box nothing major what so ever more stains once cleaned up no erosion as such. A friend of mine had a sako 75 .270 that got spot rust looking at it to hard and a tikka 22-250 that did the same where as my tikka .308 at the time and my sako 85 7rm never got a spot and I don’t no that a rag ever touched the outside of the barrel on either of those rifles . 85 finnlights and carbonlights are both prone to the sort touch wearing like the browning I think a lot of it is probably cleaning products because again my finnlight didn’t get sticky nor peel over years of use .

Blood is terrible for marking stainless and I’m very conscious of getting it off asap now.
    Synthetic likes this.

I once had Remington 700 heavy barrel with a matte finish, perhaps some sort of cerakote I'm not sure, whatever Remington used from factory as it was one of the rare times I bought a new rifle. Anyway, it scratched easily and quickly formed a light coating of surface rust overnight just from the dew from sleeping outdoors. I thought it was borderline defective. I ended up selling it after I broke the stock in a car accident. Haven't bought a brand new rifle since lol
    Synthetic likes this.

There are a lot of European rifle designs which involve overly complex methods of switching barrels or mounting scopes etc.

These often require proprietary parts which are never offered off the shelf or quickly evaporate once the rifle turns out to be a poor seller due to high costs.

It's far better to adopt a system with known faults that can be rectified vs. a brand new one which is supposedly 'better'...

A Sauer, Mauser M03 or Blaser R93 might sound like a great idea but can you buy a new stock, trigger and magazine for one at your local gunshop?!

Better to buy Howa/Remington/Tikka as parts are available and gunsmiths are familliar with them.

i'll stick with my 75 yr old brno and 46 yr old marlin thanks

Whatever you don't look after

Aren't some Kimber stocks prone to "aging" quickly?
    dannyb likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Aren't some Kimber stocks prone to "aging" quickly?
    Little stone chips but nothing major the Forbes stock is a thing of beauty but also wears quick and worse than the kimbers

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I don’t no what the deal is with the stainless thing it’s like it’s batch to batch, iv had a brand new tikka with spot rust out of the box nothing major what so ever more stains once cleaned up no erosion as such. A friend of mine had a sako 75 .270 that got spot rust looking at it to hard and a tikka 22-250 that did the same where as my tikka .308 at the time and my sako 85 7rm never got a spot and I don’t no that a rag ever touched the outside of the barrel on either of those rifles . 85 finnlights and carbonlights are both prone to the sort touch wearing like the browning I think a lot of it is probably cleaning products because again my finnlight didn’t get sticky nor peel over years of use .

Blood is terrible for marking stainless and I’m very conscious of getting it off asap now.
    May I suggest not using the barrel as a spear then

Remington's electronic ignition/trigger thing.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    May I suggest not using the barrel as a spear then
    Able lake Tahr Ballot block 3rd period 2016 arrived to the car part waiting for chopper checking the important bits rifle bolt bullets knife the bolt was broken Now I’m not saying we speared a bull Tahr with a bolt less rifle or their would be a 6 page story about it luckily their were other rifles to be shared but that would have being about the only use for that rifle on that trip
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Remington's electronic ignition/trigger thing.
    Remington's "J-lock" .... Not so much an issue of not aging well - more a case of a stupid idea that rightly never took off.... (Could probably add the Sako 75 bolt lock to this...)
    dogmatix and caberslash like this.

I'm waiting for someone to say 270 Winchester.
    300CALMAN, stagstalker and XR500 like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

You could also argue that any tube mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds hasn't aged well either; even though they lasted really well up until recently (most of them got horribly bent) - probably too soon to make that kind of reference....sorry

GWH
    I've not owned one, but from some comments I've seen on here, it sounded like the Sako carbonlights had a habit of the coating on the stock wearing off fairly quickly.
    Carbine likes this.