Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Rimfire rifles

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    a left hand 54?
    Darn it some how missed which hand it was in the excitement of finding a rifle that may have ticked your box’s I can’t find it now and chances are it was RH sorry for jumping the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    If you have deep pockets have a look at Cooper Firearms Jackson Squirrel, Custom Classic or the top of the line Western Classic. Dan Cooper worked for Kimber when they were making the Model 82. Oh the Coopers are available in LH.
    I have to agree the Cooper Custom Classic is at the top of the pile.(At least in my collection of .22's) However price wise getting into the unobtainable territory. I have a few nice .22's ( Kimber Super America, Mauser 201, Anschutz 1710HB Canyon Creek Custom, Remington 541 S and T, Winchester 52B, Volquartson) however one not mentioned is the Weihrauch. Value for what you get in terms of finish and precision they are hard to go past. Here's a couple of pics or one of mine. I would fork out for a Dakota .22 if one came my way as well.

Name:  Weihrauch 1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  283.1 KB
    Name:  Weihrauch 2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  273.7 KB
    john m, 6x47, 25/08IMP and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    I have to agree the Cooper Custom Classic is at the top of the pile.(At least in my collection of .22's) However price wise getting into the unobtainable territory. I have a few nice .22's ( Kimber Super America, Mauser 201, Anschutz 1710HB Canyon Creek Custom, Remington 541 S and T, Winchester 52B, Volquartson) however one not mentioned is the Weihrauch. Value for what you get in terms of finish and precision they are hard to go past. Here's a couple of pics or one of mine. I would fork out for a Dakota .22 if one came my way as well.

Attachment 200922
    Attachment 200923
    That's a stunning bit of walnut for a factory .22! I'm not even in the market and yet if I saw that in a gunshop I'd still probably buy it. Do the Weihrauch's come in left handed though? I found a picture of one with a left-hand stock but it was still a right hand bolt.

By the way, if you want to post any more photos of your collection for the rest of us to drool over, please feel free!

Forgotten but not gone
    Be more involved and less impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    That's a stunning bit of walnut for a factory .22! I'm not even in the market and yet if I saw that in a gunshop I'd still probably buy it. Do the Weihrauch's come in left handed though? I found a picture of one with a left-hand stock but it was still a right hand bolt.

By the way, if you want to post any more photos of your collection for the rest of us to drool over, please feel free!
    I’m not the best at taking pics. Here’s a few random photos. 1 and 2 Cooper Classic, 3. Weihrauch .22, CZ ( sold to forum member) and Anschutz 1710. 4. Better pic of Anschutz 1710 HB with Canyon Creek custom stock. 5. My fav semi - Unique X51. 6. Volquartson

Name:  69136792-BF51-4A34-948D-3D133214EBB5.jpeg
Views: 242
Size:  834.8 KB
    Name:  FAD9AF67-0490-4648-8B7E-3EBC9065CDB2.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  730.8 KB
    Name:  5D275118-F34B-49E4-AF70-ED02CAC1D137.jpeg
Views: 243
Size:  1.59 MB
    Name:  EDECAD83-42CF-4A28-AE2E-4481D4B9E0C8.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  89.7 KB
    Name:  1AD4C029-F40D-4449-879C-92537EBAE73C.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  883.4 KB
    Name:  14EE685D-6C4D-455D-96C3-BFF0534AE9CE.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  179.1 KB

I’m not the best at taking pics. Here’s a few random photos. 1 and 2 Cooper Classic, 3. Weihrauch .22, CZ ( sold to forum member) and Anschutz 1710. 4. Better pic of Anschutz 1710 HB with Canyon Creek custom stock. 5. My fav semi - Unique X51. 6. Volquartson
    Very, very nice. Thanks for taking the time to post these, there must be few other collections of high-end rimfires in NZ like yours.

I just counted - I have direct experience (i.e. more than a few shots) with only 3 of the ones you listed. Obviously room for improvement there.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    Very, very nice. Thanks for taking the time to post these, there must be few other collections of high-end rimfires in NZ like yours.

I just counted - I have direct experience (i.e. more than a few shots) with only 3 of the ones you listed. Obviously room for improvement there.
    I’m sure there’s some great collections out there. You don’t need to spend big bucks to find classy .22’s. I have three Brnos ( Model 1,2 and 5) and I count these as my most treasured. Along with my Gevarm, Browning SA’s and Marlin 39M.

Southcity....I thought some of those rifles sounded like yours - Still the best looking piece of timber I've ever seen on a Weihrauch! Having spent a lot of range time with 54's and HW60/66's, I still think the Weihrauch gives little, if anything , away to its more widely known rival.

P.S. I'm pleased you've added the Coopers to your collection. Mine is still in the safe but my sporters see little use these days since I made the mistake of playing with these 700 foot print rimfires!

Bryan, Makros, Matt2308 and 7 others like this.

Yeah , my 1710 HB is my favourite 22 to shoot , very nice , as some guy once said , a rifle man should have a real nice 22lr , WHY because , of all the rifles/calibres , it will be shot the most .

I regret taking good wood for granted when I was younger and as I advance in years tend to appreciate it a great deal more when I see it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    “I’m sixty one and I know shit”
    “Seek truth”

[QUOTE=HJA8;1336404]Southcity....I thought some of those rifles sounded like yours - Still the best looking piece of timber I've ever seen on a Weihrauch! Having spent a lot of range time with 54's and HW60/66's, I still think the Weihrauch gives little, if anything , away to its more widely known rival.

P.S. I'm pleased you've added the Coopers to your collection. Mine is still in the safe but my sporters see little use these days since I made the mistake of playing with these 700 foot print

Yes I have added a Cooper. How is your experience with your Vudoo? I struggle with the magazine set up but if it works that’s alright I guess. I’m interested if the Vudoo lives up to their accuracy guarantees.

Yes I have added a Cooper. How is your experience with your Vudoo? I struggle with the magazine set up but if it works that’s alright I guess. I’m interested if the Vudoo lives up to their accuracy guarantees.
    I probably should have stayed away from these plastic stocked rifles with ugly mags!!! I bought a B14R to see what all the fuss was about. Then ordered a V22 Vudoo and finally finished up with a 360 Vudoo. All function as they should and are accurate. These rifles actually remind me of Anschutz 54 VS Weihrauch HW60/66 - At half the price of a Vudoo after buying extra mags & a Jewell HVR, the Bergara gives away little to the Vudoo offerings in my experience.

Having said that, I had a build done using the new Anschutz 1761 action fitted with a True Flite Ultra Match - This rifle will outshoot the lot of them and functions and handles like a dream - Possibly the best all round 22LR I've owned.

10-Ring likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Have certainly found sporter 22LR semiautos can be as accurate as bolt actions. Of 100 or so 22s I've owned (most bench tested), the two most accurate sporter 22s were both Marlin model 60s - which averaged 0.29" and 0.39" respectively for several consecutive 5 shot groups at 50m. Surprised the hell out of me.. Couldn't get the CZ/Brno or any or the others near them.

With 22 magnums ammo quality was often an issue, but with the new Hornady VMax they can be superb. A much more precise load. My last Marlin model 982S heavy barrel 22 magnum could shoot 0.2-0.3" 3-4 shot groups for myself and mate at 50m, and a single test group out at 100m was 0.7". Shot in @gadgetman's Marlin 22 magnum on range and that also blew top out of 1" dot at 50m. Very accurate.
    @mudgripz Curious to know what are the most accurate bolt action rimfires you've tested?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    @mudgripz Curious to know what are the most accurate bolt action rimfires you've tested?
    Pretty sure he has a whole thread on this somewhere? I could be wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Will comment - but with provisos. Its a long time since my own competition/championship days, and since I've owned rifles for that purpose. In the last 20 or so years my own rimfire hobby has been shaped instead by superb rimfire field shooting opportunities here in Canterbury - so focus has been on practical day-to-day efficient hunter 22 rifles. Not high end arms at all. Wandering the big Canterbury farms and high country stations etc through hills, rocks, matagouri - and then spotlighting for many hours bouncing round in trucks every trip precluded the use of the higher end beautifully timbered rifles. They would be marked up fairly quickly, and team preferred accurate worker 22s. Others will give much better insight than I can into high end beauties - eg Southcity's collection - or best contemporary PRS rifles.

We have shot umpteen thousand bunnies - 20k from just one site - and popped over 1000 in an evening more than once. Requirement here is functionality, not aesthetics. We look for reliability and precise shooting to 100m - average shooting distance for the 22s is 70m so everything was shot in at 75.. From long experience have found rifle price is usually an indication of production quality, but not necessarily of accuracy. Accuracy is where you find it. My personal standard for worker 22s is sub 0.5" consistent grouping at 50m. This is not match standard, though several common makes and models exceed this mark.

Regarding most accurate bolt actions with repeatable 5 shot groups at 50m - no real surprises. Sharpest would be Weihrauch HW 60 J in WMR (0.2-0.3" groups), Marlin 982S in WMR (same), Norinco Em332 (0.6" average four consec groups at 100m). Then you have the fine Marlin 25/925/880/980s etc (all 0.3- 0.4" at best), CZ and Brno (0.4s), and several Norinco JW15s which after we polished action, chopped to 16" and recrowned are consistently in 0.4s - with @gadgetman's JW shooting 0.3s for both of us. Other worthwhile field performers - Toz 78 (0.6-0.7), Toz 17 (0.7-1.0"), Savage Mk 2 (0.7"), earlier Winchesters eg models 67 and 69 etc. Less reliable performers include Brazilian makes - CBC/Magtech/Rossi etc and the Philippines made Stirling. Can be quite accurate but can also be poor construction quality. Quite a few other makes and models but can't remember them now. Surprises at first were the Marlins with their excellent microgroove barrels, and the number of JWs which once given the QC missed at factory, proved deadly and effective wee hunters. Must have done 15-20 of them.

Most accurate overall 22s were Marlin 60 semiauto with 0.29" average four consec 5shot groups at 50 with Winny HV powerpoint. That's match standard - should have tested with Eley, SK, Fiocchi match etc. Another model 60 right behind it, with EM332 superb at 100m. EM's 0.6" four group average would match any high end PRS rifle and beat most. And that was $247, and still had its 3-9x40 Kilwell Huntsman scope on it. Chinese military trainer rifle. Weihrauch and Marlin WMRs superbly accurate. Least accurate 22s were Toz model 99 semiauto , and our 5-6 stock Ruger 10/22s. Ruger lowest average accuracy stats of all makes. Various causes - poor barrel pinning, loose chambers, uneven rifling. Occasional accurate 10/22s around from period Ruger outsourced barrels and bought in some Shilen etc. Like two gunsmith mates I'm no fan of stock Ruger 10/22s - not good enough for precise 70-100m field shooting. My present Marlin 795SS by comparison recently tested at 0.59" 3-4 group average at 75 meters - not 50m. That's the field accuracy you want - standard rifle.

Re levers - Ruger model 96 lever 22LR a delightful little rifle with no real weaknesses. More accurate than our Ruger semis at easy 0.7s - and teenager could put 10 shots inside a 1" black dot with his at 50m. Great wee carbine. Other notable levers Winchester model 9422s in 22LR and WMR - sold a pair a wee while back. Recommended. And of course the Marlin 39 and 39A variants ...see Southcity
    Synthetic and CamD like this.