Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rimfire scope on 30-30

  1. #1
    Member Boar Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Above the Hutt
    Posts
    911

    Rimfire scope on 30-30

    Been offered a Weaver RV-7 rimfire scope what I would like to use on a 30-30. Would it stand up for the recoil? Just 150 gr low vel loads no ftx or heavy loads.

  2. #2
    SiB
    SiB is online now
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,672
    Yeah. Nah. There are Centrefire scopes similarly sized. Do it right first time

  3. #3
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,401
    Its a good brand can't see why it wouldn't work I use air rifle scopes on some of my centre fires without any problems

  4. #4
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    15,809
    Air rifle scopes are normally made a lot stronger than rim fire scopes. Those springer air rifles produce a fair rattle.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  5. #5
    Member Timmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    2,411
    "Rimfire" probably indicates a nearer parallax setting also.
    jakewire and res like this.

  6. #6
    res
    res is offline
    Member res's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    3,313
    As Timmay says its probably more of a parallax setting issue than anything else-and rimfire parallax settings would seem better on a 3030 than most centerfire settings
    Timmay, GravelBen and ZG47 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,977
    Parrallax probably wont matter on a 3030 especially if its top eject and has a side mount.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Its a good brand can't see why it wouldn't work I use air rifle scopes on some of my centre fires without any problems
    air rifle scopes are tougher than centerfire scopes due to the spring powered air rifles being very tough on scopes a normal scope on a "spring" air rifle would be shaken to bits
    veitnamcam and ZG47 like this.

  9. #9
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    21,267
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    air rifle scopes are tougher than centerfire scopes due to the spring powered air rifles being very tough on scopes a normal scope on a "spring" air rifle would be shaken to bits
    The backward(normal) then rapid forward (abnormal) recoil of high power springers just fucks cheap rimfire scopes.

    Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,760
    personally I would stick with a proper centerfire scope
    I have a compact sightron(big sky?)11 4x32 here I'm not using be awesome for a 30-30 I was going to keep it as a spare but if you realy need a good scope pm me and we might be able to help you out if that's ok with @Barefoot the guy who helped me out with it when I was the one in need
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The backward(normal) then rapid forward (abnormal) recoil of high power springers just fucks cheap rimfire scopes.

    Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    even low end cente rfire scopes never tried it with a good one don't have that sort of money to chuck away
    I shoot pcps so don't have recoil issues to contend with but an ao or side focus with a min distance of 10m not 50 like most scopes is a bonus of an proper airgun scope
    veitnamcam likes this.

  12. #12
    res
    res is offline
    Member res's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    even low end cente rfire scopes never tried it with a good one don't have that sort of money to chuck away
    I shoot pcps so don't have recoil issues to contend with but an ao or side focus with a min distance of 10m not 50 like most scopes is a bonus of an proper airgun scope
    Killed a vx3 on a springer a few years back, was very annoyed
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    21,267
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Killed a vx3 on a springer a few years back, was very annoyed
    At least if genuine it would have been fully covered under warrenty

    Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg, BRADS and rockland like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  14. #14
    Village Idjit Barefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Westie
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    I have a compact sightron(big sky?)11 4x32 here I'm not using be awesome for a 30-30 I was going to keep it as a spare but if you realy need a good scope pm me and we might be able to help you out if that's ok with @Barefoot the guy who helped me out with it when I was the one in need
    It's fine by me if you want to pass it on Rambo.
    Pengy likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    Been offered a Weaver RV-7 rimfire scope what I would like to use on a 30-30. Would it stand up for the recoil? Just 150 gr low vel loads no ftx or heavy loads.
    Good strong scope, with fully multi coated optics. Bult by Light Optics in Japan. Same optical quality as the V9 tested by Tracey Short a while back for Duley's magazine but slightly more rugged.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Centrefire scope on rimfire?
    By MB in forum Varminting and Small Game Hunting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16-05-2016, 10:41 PM
  2. WTB Rimfire scope 3-12x40mm
    By Sasquatch in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 01:24 PM
  3. Leupold 4x28 Rimfire Scope
    By 10-Ring in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-09-2015, 02:51 PM
  4. WTS: Centerpoint AR22 3-9x32 rimfire scope illuminated reticle
    By hunter308 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM
  5. Wtb or trade Nikon 3-9x40 bdc 150 rimfire scope
    By anderset20 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-08-2014, 10:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!