Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal

Thread: Rings to Use for a Leupold VX5 on a Howa 1500

Rings to Use for a Leupold VX5 on a Howa 1500

Gave in to peer pressure and bought a Leupold VX5 hd 3-15x44 firedot for my Howa 1500 7mm08 but I'm clueless as to what rings to use.
    Any help would be appreciated as apart from knowing I need 30mm rings I'm clueless.

Cheers

Low Talley's will do it
    Carbine, Steve123, Bos and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Burris Signature Zee rings, but you’ll need weaver bases or picatinny rail

+1 on talley's, all my rifles wear them.

Banned
    @Quicknock This tutorial is mounting a Leupold on a Howa. Randy Newburg is a champ if you havent watched his vids before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIi8DsxPkI

Agree with the Talley's. Have them on my 308 Howa and rock solid. Got a weaver ail and leupold rings on my 30 06 Howa and although they're rock solid the rail makes it more difficult to load. Not much but still a minor niggle. It's all going to come down to your eye relief though.

Another vote for talleys
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Quicknock View Post
    Gave in to peer pressure and bought a Leupold VX5 hd 3-15x44 firedot for my Howa 1500 7mm08 but I'm clueless as to what rings to use.
    Any help would be appreciated as apart from knowing I need 30mm rings I'm clueless.

Cheers
    You won't regret that purchase! I got one as well after sitting on a hillside looking at deer a long way off through a mate's VX5.

I also use Talleys on both my Howas. I've got mine fitted with medium height rings so I don't have to scrunch my neck down quite as much to get my face on the stock. I use a bubble level on both to ensure I shoot them aligned consistently so the height above bore doesn't matter at all.

I also happen to have a spare set of 30mm low rings in the cupboard if you would like to save some money on buying new ones?
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    You won't regret that purchase! I got one as well after sitting on a hillside looking at deer a long way off through a mate's VX5.

I also use Talleys on both my Howas. I've got mine fitted with medium height rings so I don't have to scrunch my neck down quite as much to get my face on the stock. I use a bubble level on both to ensure I shoot them aligned consistently so the height above bore doesn't matter at all.

I also happen to have a spare set of 30mm low rings in the cupboard if you would like to save some money on buying new ones?
    Thanks everyone really appreciated all the advice looks like I'll be going for Talley's.

Steelisreal I'm glad to hear that, buying a scope worth twice as much as my rifle had me a little nervous. Now to find some ammo to sight it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicknock View Post
    Thanks everyone really appreciated all the advice looks like I'll be going for Talley's.

Steelisreal I'm glad to hear that, buying a scope worth twice as much as my rifle had me a little nervous. Now to find some ammo to sight it in.
    You'll rarely regret spending more on quality optics. As good as my other scope is, now I have a VX5 I wish I could have another one for the second rifle...

Same applies to binoculars - I held out for a long time until I could get something really nice and boy what a treat they are to use! I was in the hills this week and looking for any excuse to bust out the new binos and use them ��

You've got a fine rifle (for a surprisingly small amount of money). If it doesn't shoot really well straight away it may benefit from an action bedding job. You can do this yourself if you're handy with a kit from Ballistics Research - watch all his tutorial videos and have at it! The stocks are very cheap if you manage to bodge it badly, though it's not likely. With a VX5 on top and a load it likes you're all set to go get some critters.

The best way to get a great load for it is to reload of course, but that's a whole other conversation!