Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rino GPS

Rino GPS

Does any one use them and what are the radio's like do they work as they say.

Yep

Really? I have heard of plenty of issues
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yea that's why I'm asking don't want to waste a heap of money

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I've got one, not the 'one true perfect gps', but usable and reliable so far, radio has performed well the few occasions I've needed it.

Just make sure you read carefully through the specs and know if it will do what you're wanting it to do.. some people seem to expect them to do impossible things.

What are you wanting/expecting it to do?

I meet four hunters in the Manson, may last year, they all had a rino gps/radio each, listening to them trying to talk back and forwards, dropping signal's, couldn't get signal, from a guy 300m away in the bush, or on the ridge above, was pissing me off, and I wasn't even using them, mine you the were from Auckland, so perhaps it was them.
    Having spent almost 20 years fixing two ways, that weren't working correctly or reliably, in mine or forestry equipment, there is enough problems, with a 5 watt base unit, in a machine, let alone a 0.5 watt hand held in, steep bush, gorges, ridges etc.
    Do they work yes, but only really in a line of sight, or in easy rolling country, and relative short distance,
    Even a $3000, uniden, or icom, hand held, doesn't work very well, if surround buy hard signal deflecting object's, ie rocks, cliffs, big trees etc.
    depends on what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I meet four hunters in the Manson, may last year, they all had a rino gps/radio each, listening to them trying to talk back and forwards, dropping signal's, couldn't get signal, from a guy 300m away in the bush, or on the ridge above, was pissing me off, and I wasn't even using them, mine you the were from Auckland, so perhaps it was them.
    Having spent almost 20 years fixing two ways, that weren't working correctly or reliably, in mine or forestry equipment, there is enough problems, with a 5 watt base unit, in a machine, let alone a 0.5 watt hand held in, steep bush, gorges, ridges etc.
    Do they work yes, but only really in a line of sight, or in easy rolling country, and relative short distance,
    Even a $3000, uniden, or icom, hand held, doesn't work very well, if surround buy hard signal deflecting object's, ie rocks, cliffs, big trees etc.
    depends on what you want to do.
    They are 5 watt bro....

I don't no much about radios but they work as intended?

Mine works fine , Brought mine when they where $399 @ h&f . Only issue is cracking the screen , which makes it unusable ,as its a touch screen. Garmin referb $130 back in business .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

In a hunting situation they are ideal for sending a mate over to find a shot animal or both covering a clearing and then radioing each other when something comes out etc

If you are trying to use them to call your mate 6 ridges over obviously won't work
    veitnamcam, Timmay and Munsey like this.

Mate has a pair of 5W GME radio and it's awesome works with each of us in a creek bed with 2 ridges in between so was hoping they would be as good

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Mate has a pair of 5W GME radio and it's awesome works with each of us in a creek bed with 2 ridges in between so was hoping they would be as good

It would be next to impossible to get that sort of performance out of anything in the UHF band unless there's a convenient repeater in between. It's not just the transmit power of a radio that matters, but the frequency, the antenna, and a whole bunch of other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    They should be pretty well the same there.. Matched for output power, just a slightly shorter aerial than some, which may reduce extreme limit a bit, but still seems to be just fine.

You can also select the output power from the menu (0.5, 2, 5 from memory), if you're just working in close range and wish to save the battery.

Not sure how it worked but it does more than once at bloody long range as well

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    It would be next to impossible to get that sort of performance out of anything in the UHF band unless there's a convenient repeater in between. It's not just the transmit power of a radio that matters, but the frequency, the antenna, and a whole bunch of other factors.
    So what handheld will work in tough hilly situations ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

P38
    I've never had any radio issues with my Rino650.

Longest distance radio call I've had in the bush was Me at Lester's Memorial Cairn and a mate down in the Dead Dog, Northern Ruahine.
    conversation went along the lines .... Me: What's up bro?. Mate: Just finished gutting a Deer see you in 3 hours. Me: All good I'll put the kettle on.

I found the sending of "Notes" helpful too.

Only advise I can give is see if you can borrow a set to use in the area where you hunt and evaluate it for yourself.

I used to carry a Garmin 62s and a Midland radio, much prefer to carry just the Rino now.

Cheers
    Pete
    H&K MAN likes this.