Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rubber wipes in DPT suppressor

Rubber wipes in DPT suppressor

Has anyone had a play with making up rubber wipes for their modular suppressors?
    something similar to welrod pistol rubber baffels

seems like it would be piss easy to make a circular piece of rubber that would fit between baffles that you just replace on the regular by taking it apart

im curious to know the effect on accuraccy, as it should have an effect as the bullet literally touches the baffle

rubber or leather? Sounds like a question from a fetish forum I know,
    but I thought some of the ww2 designs used greased leather washers.

I was thinking rubber like inner tube as not to mess with the bullet too badly by being overly thick
    Easy availabile ect, like the members of this forum you speak of

I did a quick google on it. The wipes don't last that long and affect accuracy pretty badly. Good on an assassins pistol at close range for a couple of shots but otherwise not so good.

The Welrod was designed to be fired in contact with the target for maximum effect so accuracy was of no consequence! If you want hit things further than 25 metres then forget about wipes. Wipes are pretty much fully degraded after 10 shots anyway.
    Bill999 and csmiffy like this.

res
    I made a wipes can once, was amazing at sound for the first couple of shots but I couldent even hit a coke can at 10m with it
    Cordite likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Rwt
    Check out this for modern suppressor with a wipe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z17UQUYzPhQ

Skip to about 15min in for a 300blk with wipes. Pretty impressive! Cant imagine accuracy is too flash though.

from that video Im sold

I am hoping to do something similar with a wipe at the end of the can with a hole the size of the bullet
    im thinking the air that the bullet is pushing will open the hole enough to avoid bullet contact so not really a wipe
    but then it sort of closes behind the bullet

anyway 10 shots once my rifle is sighted in is far more than id use on a typical day hunting
    If I use five its either been a really good hunt or somethings gone wrong

I have seen in suppressors that bullets dont even need to contact baffles before accuracy is affected

I am dubious about what effect there will be accuracy wise and the sound difference with and without wipes isnt enough to justify destroying accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    from that video Im sold

I am hoping to do something similar with a wipe at the end of the can with a hole the size of the bullet
    im thinking the air that the bullet is pushing will open the hole enough to avoid bullet contact so not really a wipe
    but then it sort of closes behind the bullet

anyway 10 shots once my rifle is sighted in is far more than id use on a typical day hunting
    If I use five its either been a really good hunt or somethings gone wrong
    Quick way to test if it's worth it. Try a piece of leather over the end of your can, attach with hose clip.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Quick way to test if it's worth it. Try a piece of leather over the end of your can, attach with hose clip.
    Why not just use an oil filter
    223nut and Cordite like this.

Saw the video, shots with and without a suppressor.
    First, a bit useless as the microphone had auto-volume or whatever, cutting out loud noises.
    Second, comparing shots with and without a wipe inserted is a bit useless when the shot without a wipe has the silencer left with a big hole at the front instead of just a normal tight tolerance baffle.
    If you need something extra silent, get a bigger can. Less bang for your buck that way...
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

If you need it that quiet you are probable poaching

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    If you need it that quiet you are probable poaching
    Perhaps not poaching but potentially shooting where one is not supposed to? (EG rabbit control in an area which is too built up for shooting but still you r own property....) Either way, sounds like someone is up to mischief....

MB
    The law is funny in that respect and somewhat open to interpretation, copied from another thread.

Discharging firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near dwelling house or public place
    Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to a fine not exceeding $3,000 or to both who, without reasonable cause, discharges a firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near—
    (a)a dwellinghouse; or
    (b)a public place,—
    so as to endanger property or to endanger, annoy, or frighten any person.

Anyway, suppressed 22 subsonics for rabbits. No one would even know you were there if you don't do anything stupid.