Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?

Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?

I'm looking for a new semi auto .22lr and currently town between a Remington 597 and a Ruger 10/22. I like the idea of the more sturdy 597 that just seems like its built better, but then there is the fully customisable Ruger. I know the older 597 models used to jam when cycling but apparently the new ones don't (Metal instead of plastic magazine). Ruger is around $500 bare, 597 is $450 Scoped.

Just wondering what everyone's preferences are and why? (Different semi auto .22lr aswell)

Get an earlier Marlin 795 then you get a last round bolt hold open too. The newer ones are made by Remington and are nowhere near as good, so look for the earlier ones marked as made in Connecticut.
    gadgetman likes this.

rem 597 imo had both over the years

I have a 597, sold a Model 2 BRNO to fund it. Had to have it.
    Well I like it over the 10/22 as it actually feels like a proper rifle and not a toy BUT
    The trigger is totally shit, I need to replace the hammer with after market one AND The magazines for mine are total shit. I just cant bring myself to spend more money on it
    I had them replaced when I brought it and they are still shit so it has sat in my safe ever since
    Been sighted in but whats the use of a 10 shot mag which will only work with 5 in it.

Did I mention the Mags are total shit
    Accurate enough but why did I sell my BRNO I must have been bonkers
    madjon_, gadgetman and Tommy like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

SiB
    Well I bought a basic 10/22, I only shoot subs and after 2k rounds it's going even better!

I fitted the polymer backstop and that's it. No other work. Awesome

I found myself in the same position but ended up with one of the older stainless 10/22s with the houge stock (at a price I couldnt go past) and i have always liked the weight of it - I run cci subs through it and it has never failed me.

Marlin 60 or 795, even the new remmy built ones shoot

Ruger

I have a newish 597 and it fits me great. Stuck a dpt can on and all I hear is the return click. Order a new spring for it the factory one is shit, new spring and a whole new game. Once in a while I get a jam but that mught be about every 200 or so. Main thing it fits and a lot of fun, also accurate! I wouldn't sell it for anything.
    jackbowring likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Heading to range next week and can slot the 597 in. Rotorua range, cheers.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

The 597 i used was a total dog jammed up and magazines were shockingly bad
    madjon_ and mikee like this.

Marlin 795, i've got 7x 25rnd mags coming for mine, and a 90rnd drum mag
    Ranal likes this.

I had a Ruger. Actually I have had a couple. One was a piece of crap, the other I quite liked. Take from that what you will. I now have a Toz 99, not because I sell them but because I like some of the features that I missed when I had the Ruger. I like the Ruger magazines and the design is simple and robust. Effective. But I like the fact I can strip and clean the Toz like a bolt action without any tools and without removing the action from the stock. My suggestion would be decide what is important to you, which one you like the feel of and go from there. If you cannot decide it means neither tick ALL the boxes for your requirements so keep looking....

northdude
    ive had both the ruger is fine if you want to gay it up i guess its like a dress up doll for guys i didnt like the one i had at the club i shoot at if any rifle is going to play up during the detail it will be the guy with a 10/22 the 597 i had was a way better rifle mind you i put a vq target hammer in it and that really improved the trigger and just put 8 rounds in the mag and it ran fine both were a dit fussy with ammo the best 22 semi ive owned and you might find a few people will say the same was a stirling no gay bits available for it but it didnt need them it would shoot what ever ammo you fed it never jammed was more accurate than the other 2 by far

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Ruger, coz when you get bored with it there's plenty of bits available to pimp it out to whatever you want. They have one of the best magazine designs for a 22.