Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: Ruger American - modifications

Ruger American - modifications

Just got my hands of a Ruger American 7.62x39. Nice little gun. Light weight, easy to carry, great calibre. Replacement for the AR7.62x39 that 'she who should be forgotten' has forcibly confiscated.
    Trigger is a nice hunting weight, but there is a bit of creep prior to let off.

So, anyone done a trigger job on an American to reduce the creep?
    Not really looking to sink a lot of money into this gun but anyone replaced the trigger with after market? Recommendations?

What other modification have people done? Show us your photos!

northdude
    I got a boyds stock for mine epoxied the beding blocks in and also put pillars in also put a steel trigger guard on it seems to shoot ok its waiting on some work to be done as im rebarreling it when funds are available Name:  IMG_20170703_183146.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  1.39 MB
    dannyb likes this.

I’ve got a 308 predator,blimmin awesome guns,have you lightened the trigger?I changed mine from the factory 5lb to 3lb in a few minutes,I’ll post some pics of how it’s shooting,I’ve only put 60 rounds through it all factory stuff,it loves Winchester deer season.
    Red circle is Winchester,green circle is Hornady super performance.it consistently is shooting MOA groups and often sub the red circle Group is 13mm.Name:  2CDE25EB-DC80-42A0-8B5F-14CB6D9FAE06.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  601.7 KB

Trigger job is easy and worthwhile, cut the spring and polish sear with 2000grit sandpaper on a really flat square surface.
    Careful not to cut too much spring though, test with adjustment screw taken right out or backed right off so you at least have some spare adjustment if chop too much spring otherwise can end up with a hair trigger.
    I can't quite recall how much but maybe start with around 1 turn, may end up 1.5 or a bit more.
    Do some research on the net, it's a really fine adjustment the last wee bit of spring so don't get too keen too fast.
    Despite their rough and ready looks these rifles with right ammo are very accurate and equivalent to Tikkas easily.
    You can also fill the forend in of stock to stiffen up and you are done.

yeh ive owned 4- all shot brilliant- 2 x 308-243 and a 6.5cr, the last took deer out to 600 or a bit more with new owner.....

I've got 2 Ruger Americans, one predator 6.5 and one ranch .223. Put timny trigger in both and love them. A good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Trigger job is easy and worthwhile, cut the spring and polish sear with 2000grit sandpaper on a really flat square surface.
    Careful not to cut too much spring though, test with adjustment screw taken right out or backed right off so you at least have some spare adjustment if chop too much spring otherwise can end up with a hair trigger.
    I can't quite recall how much but maybe start with around 1 turn, may end up 1.5 or a bit more.
    Do some research on the net, it's a really fine adjustment the last wee bit of spring so don't get too keen too fast.
    Despite their rough and ready looks these rifles with right ammo are very accurate and equivalent to Tikkas easily.
    You can also fill the forend in of stock to stiffen up and you are done.
    There bloody accurate alright! The SA AR have the MDT Chassis for them now too, but with how accurate they already are im not sure the investment would be worth it? Especially with the closer in calibers, im not quite seeing the cost to benefit ratio. Guncity wants to charge $1k just for the front chassis, not including the pistol grip, buffer tube or buttstock.

Daylight robbery when there only $499 odd retail on MDT's website. I believe the importers pay MDT 2-300 odd before adding their retail ontop.