Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jackson21
  • 1 Post By Sasquatch
  • 1 Post By Trigger

Thread: Ruger american owners gripes

Ruger american owners gripes

I have one, getting past the agricultural level of finish it has a good trigger, takes ar mags 10 rounds no more of course,and the mag release is protected, it carries well, is chambered for 556, is fast twist and very accurate.
    However there are things i do not like.
    The firing pin spring seems excessivly strong making the cock on opening require quite a bit of force the short throw may not help this.
    The round is pushed into the chamber by the extractor and ejector both of which are quite firm making slow operation of the bolt nearly impossible as it stops then more force is needed to pop the cartridge into the bolt recess before closing.
    The idea of a cock on close appeals to me as well.
    A
    So i wonder what other owners thoughts are or am i being picky its a budget number after all same as howa.

My only gripe so far is the action isn't the smoothest when run hard and fast for competition shooting.

I fixed that with some 2000 grit wet and dry in about 10 minutes.

I made the action on mine significantly smoother by smearing the bolt in JB Bore paste and a liberal amount of oil, and fast cycling it about 500 times. I think what they need to overcome the hard cycling issue, is a bigger bolt handle, the standard one is awfully small. Other than that I like mine for what it is. It's very accurate.

Probably depends on what price you paid for it. I need to reconfirm the last reloads I did for my 6.5 Cr I paid 800 bucks for but was a ragged hole, 5 shot group around. 0.25~0.3".
    My 22.250 does 0.5 " 5 shot groups easily with 67 tmks and not much development, cheap 55gr factory PPU the same.

Sure you need to do a bit of work to get right, trigger, polish bolt, clear stock from touching and fill forend if using bipod but really they are a US $350 rifle. That's pretty ridiculous.
    They never going to be the rifle you look at lovingly and admire but see them as a kiwi workhorse, wear out disposable rifle that I'm quite fond of and deserve a healthy respect.
    Their V bedding system is the best going, CHF barrels.
    xtightg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I made the action on mine significantly smoother by smearing the bolt in JB Bore paste and a liberal amount of oil, and fast cycling it about 500 times. I think what they need to overcome the hard cycling issue, is a bigger bolt handle, the standard one is awfully small. Other than that I like mine for what it is. It's very accurate.
    Agreed, a bigger knob is always better. A small one, as we know, just doesn't cut the mustard.
    Marty Henry likes this.

My friends one is pretty nice. But his has a rotary mag. I like the three lug bolt.

Anyone know of a retailer with the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 , been looking but can`t find one. Would even consider used.

@Tasbay GC's website shows their CCH outlet has some in stock. https://www.guncity.com/762x39-ruger...nthetic-340543
    Tasbay likes this.

I had one in 300 BLK - Some of the early ones had feeding issues from the Rotary Mag's (Mine was fine). Main issue with the provided stock was the fore-end flex - but after a bit of stabilisation compound in the cris crosses and a glue and screw bedding job - shot like a trooper. Great little bush and sub-sonics rifle.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    ....Some of the early ones had feeding issues from the Rotary Mag's....
    Yup, and mine was one of those. Failed three times. The dealer was really good but unfortunately the replacement mags just did the same thing and I cracked the shits.

Be very very careful disassembling the mag, the weak plastic tabs that click into the opposite holes break off real easy.

I ended up negotiating a replacement deal for something else and gave up.

However I am well aware that subsequent updates have improved the magazines, and that the above comments about cheap but good shooters are fair and reasonable. (Mine shot very well, when it worked.)

If you're buying second hand, be careful. Inspect the mag to see if it looks like its been taken apart.

Howa is much better than Ruger American IMO.
    Just...say...the...word

My 3006 is quite a good rifle for what they are. My mag will miss feed the third round if you work the action slowly, going fast it's ok. They would be a lot better if they had the trigger guard bottom metal seems funny having the mag click into the plastic stock,just seems unfinished in that area. I like the trigger, safety is in a good place, it's light and accurate so it has plenty going for it .