Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ruger American/Redfield or Howa lite package?

Ruger American/Redfield or Howa lite package?

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the site and hunting/guns. Just got my FAL and looking to get a cost effective bush/deer rifle.

So far I'm keen on the Ruger American/Redfield combo or a Howa lite barrel package. I need to have it suppressed also, got to protect the one good ear I have. Looked at the sonic suppressor today, I like.

So far I've seen the Ruger for $949 and the Howa for $999. Suppressor $350.

Which would be the best option and why? Like I said earlier, I'm new to all of this so open to all ideas/comments.....

I don't know anything about the ruger American but I own a howa light barrel 243 with the sonic suppressor . Great little hunting rifles but I have moved on to do lots of target shooting with a 260 so the howa is for sale . Comes with nikko Stirling scope 3-9 power . Trigger has been lightened have ammo and bag and sling and others for it. Been religiously cleaned and still very tidy. Fired approx 150 rounds and shoots good groups . Have brass and dies as well only after about 850 for it and have extras cheap

Howa is the better made rifle, The ruger package has a better scope. Both will shoot pretty well, the howa is probably a bit more accurate (In my experience anyway).

Whatever feels better to you man. Second hand stuff is worth a look as well. Good stuff comes up on here for awsome prices all the time.

You can also get the Savage Trophy Hunter with Weaver scope for the same price, which would be my pick of the current packages.

Handle a few options and see what fits you etc, thats the most important thing.
    mudgripz and Scouser like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Of the two I'd take the Howa
    This could also be a consideration
    Savage ArmsSavage Arms Weather Warrior Series Rifles
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They both would be the right choice. Had a look at the Ruger/redfield package today. Pretty decent. Very nice trigger for ruger. Im holding off for the ruger american 300blk to come to these shores.
    But ya also cant beat a Howa for a first rifle. There both in your ball park and both will do the job nicely.

If I hadnt handled the ruger today i would have gone with Howa but now I cant help ya as they are even in my books now. I liked the detachable rotary mag of the ruger, very relaible those ruger rotaries.

Goodluck.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. Now I like Savage but for the life of me I cant work out their models......... I don't want an axis but I would be happy with a step up. Is the trophy hunter a step up from the axis? That weather warrior looks like a good buy jakewwire!

Yip, Trophy Hunter uses the Mod.10 action. Basically like a Weather Warrior but with a cheaper stock (not the alloy reinforced accustock) and with a few more plastic bits. If you prefer wood/blue and don't like plastic there are also good deals around on the American Classic model.

Nick welcome to the forum mate, I'm biased as I've got the Howa but mine has a 'loopy' VX2 sitting on top, I only bush hunt, and I'm not an experienced hunter, but agree with all the replies, go to a gun store, pick them both (all) up and go with the one you like!.......you won't be buying a lemon whatever your choice......get into it mate you'll love it
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Howa is definitely my pick for a rifle but then I would also suggest you look at the marlin X7 rifles they are awesome and extremely accurate for the price, also don't over look the remington 700 sps which is my current rifle and very capable of shooting accurately
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Google the Ruger American, its getting great reviews for accuracy etc...

i have two ruger americans and rate them highly. i got the 223 SS all weather and did this group at 100m recently which was the first time i'd ever shot at a range and with factory hornady ammo

here's a link to a thread, i did a bit of a review on it
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...r-223-a-18758/
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Best advice I ever got was to try them all in the shop. It's great advice. I was set on something completely different from my laptop chair, but in the shop one in particular was just exactly what I wanted after trying it.

Go and try them and you'll know what you want. It can be something as simple as liking the mag or safety on one more than the others.

I was looking between the Savage and the Marlin until I tried the Howa.
    The Savage didn't suit me at all. The stock is very light and plasticy.
    The Marlin was better but I would've still had to of added a thicker stock pad.
    But the Howa fitted me way better than the other 2.
    Only problem I have with the Howa, is the absolute rubbish Hogue stock. It has more flex in it than soggy spaghetti.
    The action etc is flawless and I really like the 3 position safety as well. It is far more smoother to use than both the Savage and the Marlin. Just the stock lets it down big time. It is a shame because the stock feels so nice to hold, even when wet.
    Just as well there are other stocks available out there
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Awesome feedback, thanks guys. Where in Auckland has the best Savage range? I have a feeling I might go Howa. Like the stock, its threaded, stainless steel and I can upgrade the scope in time.