Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ruger American Rifles - any good?

Ruger American Rifles - any good?

Hi everyone, just looking for some feedback/people's experience with Ruger American/Ranch/Predator rifles. More specifically in 223. Are they accurate? User friendly? Reliability, that sort of info would be greatly appreciated.

I will be reloading for it, possibly from the get go.

Intended use is small game (rabbits, hares etc).

Cheers
    Mike

Edit: hope I've put this in the right thread

northdude
    i found the barrel a bit on the thin side on my one ruger american but its getting a face lift it seemed accurate enough it was a 3006 i replaced my ar with a savage mod 16 still developing a load for it but it looks like its going to be a good rifle
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

SiB
    I like my Ranch in .223
    I use it suppressed on hares w a thermal. Works a treat

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Ruger has never been known for out of box accuracy. Also it is not known for being the leader in advancement of accuracy improving technologies.

IF you want the highest chance of an accurate rifle out of box -
    1. Tikka T3x is easily the undisputed king of accurate rifle out of box on modest budget;
    2. Savage but only certain models. Savage was the first to come out with accu-trigger type of two stage, customer adjustable trigger on modest budget. They are also one of few to do button-rifling.
    3. CZ, which does not lead the charge for accuracy improvement, but is known for great workmanship. For some models they still do hand lapping.
    4. Howa, which is know now for being a good Tikka alternative.

Personally for a 223 I would go with Tikka T3x although if the option was available I would go with Savage 12 LRPV
    57jl, Fawls and Been Upto like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Ruger has never been known for out of box accuracy. Also it is not known for being the leader in advancement of accuracy improving technologies.

1. Tikka T3x is easily the undisputed king of accurate rifle out of box on modest budget;
    2. Savage but only certain models. Savage was the first to come out with accu-trigger type of two stage, customer adjustable trigger on modest budget. They are also one of few to do button-rifling.
    3. CZ, which does not lead the charge for accuracy improvement, but is known for great workmanship. For some models they still do hand lapping.

Personally for a 223 I would go with Tikka T3x although if the option was available I would go with Savage 12 LRPV.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post

Personally for a 223 I would go with Tikka T3x although if the option was available I would go with Savage 12 LRPV.
    Pretty sure that you didn't answer anything the original question asked but hey.
    Google Ruger American long range shooting and you will see there is a fair few guys shooting out over 1000 yards with them so in general they are accurate. I have one, ruger American compact 16 inch barrel 308. Shot deer out over 500 yards with it. I know of 2 others and they are accurate. They certainly aren't the fanciest but do the job. I have a tikka, howa and a few others and for a good reliable rifle with a half cock that you don't worry about dinging I tend to reach for the Ruger.
    I have a howa mini action in 223 and that is certainly a smoother rifle.
    gadgetman likes this.

Hi
    Have a suppressed predator .223 did the spring on trigger and filled in forend for less flex
    Shoots well enough for me
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1300
Size:  1.47 MB

Have had a few Rugers, mostly m77 mk2.
    All solid accurate rifles.
    Currently have one rebarreled to 7mm saum and an American 22 mag well made accurate rifle.

They are accurate , my 30 06 is good enough for me , very light weight and nice to carry about. The magazine well is the only thing I don't like to much but it all works so no real problem. I would think one in 223 would be accurate as well.

The Ruger American is a well-designed and well-made budget rifle. Bedding, trigger job and a bolt slick-up will make it perform very well. Mine is a .300 Whisper that I have tweaked into a dedicated subsonic unit that delivers 220gr RN Hornadys into MOA at 1075 fps.

My Ranch shoots decent with the 3 loads I've tried in it
    grunzter likes this.

I got one in 308win and one in 22lr love them both, the 308
    Groups well at under 1moa, really good rugged rifles I picked the 308 in stainless Steel up off the yellow site for around $500, one of the best buys I've had.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

I have an American in 223 got it to replace something I lost. Same 16 in barrel, same twist rate 1:8, same 556 nato chambering and takes p mags or steel ar ones.
    First impression heavier than expected but it is a thick barrel. The barrel is Parkerised and still has fine turning marks visible, it certainly won't give you away by being shiny.
    The 3 lug bolt is large being the full diameter of the lugs it's full length with reliefs cut for them and some shaping behind the bottom lug that's part of the feed system which ores the top round in the mag down so the lug can slide over it.
    The bolt shows extensive fine tooling marks and although it runs reasonably freely in the bolt way it sounds a bit like a zip tie being done up.
    The trigger is excellent sharp break no creep, the safety blade makes it feel like a 2 stage which I like best.
    Accurate out of the box, 3 shots at 100 cloverleafed nowhere near where my bore sighting was but 2 more and it matched.
    The bolt cannot be worked slow and silent, the feed system pops a cartridge into the feedway centered in the bolt head and for the final chambering the base has to force open the extractor and compress the plunger ejector both of which have strong springs simultaneously the part of the bolt handle that runs in the turn down cam in the receiver is a rounded corner square that sometimes sticks at the start of rotation as the cam isn't a smooth curve but a bit angular. A forceful movement is required to get it done.
    The stocks ergonomic and the rifle wll balanced to carry the magaine isnt at point of balance and the mag release is nowhere you can accidentally trip it it is however hollow and drums but expanding foam will fix that same as 10 or so minutes with 2000 grit wet and dry will get rid for the zip lock bolt sound.
    Overall it's a utilitarian rifle made to a price point. Time and effort have been concentrated on the right things accuracy, trigger, etc so for something to throw on the bike every day that you won't loose sleep over if it gets soaked in the rain occasionally or dropped in the mud it's a good choice in my opinion.

Just remembered you said you will reload for it. The ar magazines will control your seating depth I found this out trying to load some 77 grs loads for my other 223 won't fit the bloody magazine and unless you modify the ar mags to remove the last round bolt hold open you can't single load either.

Old man shoots for a living and has a predator in 223 and one in 7.62x39, both get plenty of use and he reckons he picks up the 223 before he picks up the 223 T3 he has
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.